Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got A Trogan.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:09 AM

Downloaded 'SIW' on the 5/20/07 and had no problems. Just now got a notice from Avast Antivirus.
SIW.EXE C\:Documents and Settings\ Doug ......... WIN32:Trogan-GE....
In Quarantine at present. Wondering why all of a sudden after 1 month,I should get this notice.I contacted other Members via PM and they assure me SIW is as safe as houses.Anyone have an answer to why this has occured,as I quite like SIW.
Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:14 AM

Might be a false positive. Try uploading the file at Jotti and see what it says.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:17 AM

I think its a false-positive from Avast.

You beat me to it....

An online scan would do you good to put your mind at ease.

Edited by jwinathome, 20 June 2007 - 09:18 AM.

#4 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:27 AM

Will do, and thanks for your responses'Budapest' and 'Jwinathome' Much appreciated. :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:33 AM

SIW has one tool in it that finds some passwords. That could be what Avast found. Just a guess.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:12 AM

Was trogan the actual spelling or was it trojan? From doing a little reading it looks like this is not unusual for Avast, one of the suggested remedies was to switch to AVG. :thumbsup:

btw...I have SIW loaded on my puter, it's a great little utility, but if you will notice there is a disclaimer that will appear which reads "Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed", I have seen it produce inaccurate information about RAM. I also use AVG and have not had any false positives with it.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:28 AM

Was trogan the actual spelling or was it trojan? From doing a little reading it looks like this is not unusual for Avast, one of the suggested remedies was to switch to AVG. :thumbsup:

btw...I have SIW loaded on my puter, it's a great little utility, but if you will notice there is a disclaimer that will appear which reads "Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed", I have seen it produce inaccurate information about RAM. I also use AVG and have not had any false positives with it.

Checked and the correct spelling is Trojan 'dc3' My mistake. I will use AVG from now on, and also their AntiSpyware. :flowers:

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:50 AM

Looks like the same problem SIW had with TrendMicro, recently:

Thursday, May 03, 2007
SIW 1.68 and Trend Micro Internet Security 2007

Today I got 5 reports that the recent update of the Trend Micro Internet Security 2007 finds the SIW 1.68 (English Version only) infected with a "TROJ_Generic" virus.
The Multilanguage Version is fine.
I've contacted Trend Micro by email and I got the following reply:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for your email. A Service Request has been created to address your concerns.
Here are the details:
Service Request Number: 1-88278459
Accepted Time: 5/4/2007 1:58:11 AM [(GMT) Greenwich Mean Time : Dublin, Edinburgh, Lisbon, London]
Expected Response: Within 48 Hours

http://blog.gtopala.com/2007/05/siw-168-an...o-internet.html

Which was later resolved:

Sunday, May 13, 2007
SIW 1.68 and Trend Micro - problem solved

The latest signature file for Trend Micro Internet Security recognizes SIW.
Here is the old signature file (SIW is detected as infected with a "TROJ_Generic" virus).

http://blog.gtopala.com/2007/05/siw-168-an...lem-solved.html
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:09 PM

Thanks for that information,'tg1911' Very interesting. :thumbsup:
That was the first False Positive,I had with Avast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users