Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dodgy Display

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:07 AM

Hi Guys,

once again to pick your collective brains ....

I did a full format of my computer a couple of weeks ago, and re-installed everything with little or no trouble.

All drivers were installed and all devices working correctly.

When i boot up every time, the display i blocky, low resolution, almost like there's a hazy checkered pattern over it.
The boot up continues, to the point where the computer logs into windows, and the screen, slthough illuminated, remains blank.
I power it off, and boot up to the point where i get the same problem repeatedly, until once after a random number of attempts it just works fine.
Other time, i press the F2 key on boot up, enter the set-up and exit straight away withoutmaking any changes, and this is sufficient to set it right .... it all seems so random.
Trouble shooting and system manager shows me the devices are working fine and all drivers are up to date.

Anyone ever have this problem or have any ideas as to a possible solution ??

Thanking you in advance !
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

Try clearing your CMOS. Is your date and time showing up properly? If not replace the CMOS battery.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:29 AM

Dc3, thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid this isnt the problem ... date and time are all fine.

I've also updated the BIOS as i read that this may have been an issue too.

Any other suggestions ?!
If there really was a god, then why is my ass the perfect height for kicking ???

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Have you tried a different monitor?

Edit: What are the specs for your computer. Processor, video , ram, monitor make and model?

Edited by Sneakycyber, 21 June 2007 - 06:02 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 carnivalofsorts

carnivalofsorts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 100 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:27 AM

Its a Dell Inspiron 2600

Its a laptop and the monitor is working fine. Its definately a hardware issue, because when it sometimes does make it into Windows with a horribly low resolution and messy display, theres a message to say that windows has recovered from a serious error.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 04:21 PM

This is where I watch and read, I unfortunatly don't know much about laptops. But I know people here do, I hope they can help figure it out. I will try and help in anyway I can :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users