Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Format "C" drive

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:58 AM

Hello tech heads,

Perhaps someone here can help me.

I have a PIII running XP. I have the disc. I used to run Windows 98 and also have this disc and boot disc.

I want to format my "C" drive and re-install XP. I understand formating wipes my hard drive clean and i will lose all my data. I have tried using the boot disc that came with windows 98 but it will not allow me to format because "the volume is being used by another program" :...That is meaningless to me.

Is there a way to do a clean install? It says on the box of XP that I must have a previous version of windows installed to be able to install XP. If this is the case I can install 98 first then XP.

So, how does one format "C" drive then start the installation of the operating system?

May you never step in camel dung.

Any advice gratefully accepted

Edited by Constantine, 22 January 2005 - 02:00 AM.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 03:13 AM

Hi Constantine :flowers: to BC

Here is an excellent tutorial on to do what you wish to do. Give it a read and if you have any questions, just ask.

http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/Inst...tallxphome1.htm

May the camel of your father's father not also be the camel of your mother's father. :thumbsup:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#3 Constantine

Constantine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:21 AM

Perhaps the camel of my father's father was indeed the camel of my mother's father because I am so ugly that I have a head like the south end of a north bound camel.

However this gets me no further along the path of enlightenment vis a vis formatting my hard drive.

I have carefully read the tutorial you have recommended and I have learned that this problem is probably going to cost me some legal tender at the local computer repair joint. It is certainly not as simple or straight forward as I had hoped and it has made me all too aware of my limitations when it comes to technical stuff.

May you always have the good fortune to date a woman with small hands.

My thanks

Constantine
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:05 AM

You can try KillDisk Free Edtion . It wipes everything out. WARNING !!! Once you run KillDisk there is no turning back.

Good Luck acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:05 AM

Now, now, self depreciating humor is always good in small doses, but no need to go overboard.

I won't give you a complete step by step because that site I linked you to does that already, but this should help explain what Black Viper is trying to tell you. To format your disk all you have to do is insert your XP disk and reboot your computer (do not choose to do anything from the splash screen which comes up when you insert the disk, just put it in and reboot the computer). As the computer first reboots, you will have a few seconds to hit any key to boot from the disk, please do so.

Now follow the prompts from the install program and the instructions on the site I linked you to. You do not need to install 98 first, you just need to have the disk at hand because the XP set up will ask for it to confirm that you are upgrading from a previous version of Windows.

After it asks you to insert your 98 disk for conformation (step 4), you will come to a screen about hard drive partition information. Since you want to do a reformat and clean install you have to delete the old partition first. Select your old operating system (OS) partition and press D to delete it (steps 5, 6, and 7). I don't know how many partitions you currently have but you want to put XP on the same partition your old OS was on, usually the C drive.

After you delete the partition, it will be undefined space and it will give you the opportunity to create a new partition(s), this is where you are actually reformatting your disk Choose the NTFS file system for your partitions, do not use the quick format option because you want to be sure that there are no bad sectors on the disk before you install (steps 8, 9, 10 and 11).

Once this is done it will walk you hand in hand through the rest of the set up.

It seems like a complicated procedure to do the first time you try this, but it is really pretty simple. There really is no need to enrich the swiss bank account of the local computer geek. Once you have a basic understanding of what is happening, the prompts the set up program give you are pretty straight forward. Basically you delete the old partition and then recreate it. Now try going back and rereading that site I posted, take notes if you have to and hopefully this explanation I gave you will help you to make sense of what that site is trying to tell you to do.

May the fickle finger of fate never poke you in the eye.

Edited by Ronbo, 22 January 2005 - 12:11 PM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users