Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speedtouch Usb Setup Won't End Programme

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:42 AM

Hey everyone, this is the first of quite a few threads for help i shall probably be needing, i've just got a new computer..its so pretty :inlove: ...ANYWAY :cool: !!!

Here it is.

1. I had to set up with my Broadband provider so loaded the disc on.

2. Did my thing decided to turn off. Closed all tabs i had been using, although one remained (SpeedTouch USB Setup). I continued regardless, clicked Start/Turn off comp/Blah (you know the one) and then a box appeared "ending programme" and then another saying "programme not responding". I decided to right click the programme and do it manually but all the options appear grey (unselectable) so i cant turn my comp off :trumpet:

3. Phoned up my broadband company and they said it was the computer companies problem, but the problem wasnt there until i had internet access.

SO, 1. Any ideas whats going on? and 2. Are my broadband provider responsible/could they have helped me?

*just has idea to do the old "Ctrl/Alt/Del" thing to see whats going on*....yeah, it says its not responding there too....sorry about this guys, i dont wanna mess up my lovely new comp by deleting something thats important.

3. How do i close it? and Is it important?

Cheers for reading, i know, i knowww, i'm a silly billy (for want of a better turn of phrase) :woot:

NICE ONE! :flowers:
nn23

edit: sorry if this is in the wrong section, there isnt a forum called "turning computer off" LMAO, its the sort of thing only i have problems with *nods head with shame* :thumbsup: ....cheers

Edited by nn23, 20 June 2007 - 08:54 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:51 PM

If the Speedtouch USB program is a program that the ISP (Internet Service Provider) told you to install, then they should've helped you with it. If not, then it's not their problem, nor the problem of the computer companies (unless the computer company installed that program or told you to install it). If you put it there, it's your problem (lucky you!).

Sometimes, for reasons unbeknown to me, programs just don't like to shut down. Not sure if it's because Microsoft is still accessing them, or another program is using it, or if a solar flare from the sun has caused cosmic radiation which has adversely affected your computer only temporarily resulting in "not responding"..... :flowers: I get the same thing from time to time. Sometimes a program will "come out of it", and start responding, sometimes it won't. Sometimes ctrl+alt+delete then just closing the task manager window will do the trick. If a program won't close (stops responding), then try to end it in task manager. When the window comes up "end program?" (or something like that), click yes or ok or what ever) and the program should end. Give it a few seconds or minutes, as it may take a bit. It might come up with another program that says something like "you chose to end a program blah blah blah wanna send a report to Microsoft?"-that's up to you if you send it or not.

Hope this helps! Oh, and congrats on your new pretty computer! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 nn23

nn23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

HA HAAA yeah, cheers Steve, that was really re-assuring, i think i was just a bit uncertain about doing anything that might mess up my new comp. I was afraid that if i closed it in any old way it might take something important off he he, silly i know. As it happens the problem was solved by a sheer stroke of fate....i ran out of electyric and all power was turned off :thumbsup: , if that hadnt of happened i think i may have been still too scared to do anything to mess it up :trumpet: :flowers:

yeah, its so pretty, i think i'm gona have to get content insurance now LMAO!

NICE ONE!!
nn23

edit: oh yeah, this one can be locked now btw :inlove:

Edited by nn23, 20 June 2007 - 05:44 PM.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:06 PM

It's not a big deal if a program hangs like that. Most typically, they'll hang as they're shutting down, so you should already have your work saved (depending on the program). No worries! :trumpet:

oh yeah, this one can be locked now btw :flowers:

If a mod catches this post (your last post), then they'll lock it. Advisors don't have the permissions to lock threads. If you get any more replies to this topic, just do like my wife and kids do me--ignore everything that's said! :inlove: :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users