Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Winxp Pro To English Base Os

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 liquidmonkey

liquidmonkey

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

hello,
just bought a IBM lenovo 3000 v100 laptop. i want the OS to be in english, buts it in swedish. here's what i did at first startup....

started it up and choose a few things during the initial setup such as a region, 'sweden' (cause thats where i am), preferred language 'english' (cause i'm canadian) and then preferred keyboard 'swedish' (cause i need those weird swedish letters).

the laptop rebooted and windows XP pro is totally in swedish!!!!
i want it to be in english and english, swedish and finnish are the 3 languages this laptop comes in.

what have i done wrong? can i get the base OS to be in english?
have messed with the regional settings but this only affects the keyboard and so on....

many thanks in advance!!
win7 Ultimate 64bit
2 x 24" LG Monitors
Intel Core i7 920 with Xigmatek HDT-S1283
ASUS P6T WS PRO
12gigs of OCZ Gold XTC Triple Channel 6x2gig DDR3 1333MHz PC10600
XFX Nvidia GTX 260 core 216
Corsair TX750W
Cooler Master 690
HDD Total = F I V E TB!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:21 AM

My understanding is that you won't be able to get the OS in English. Microsoft sell different language versions of Windows and you can't change the language. I think there is an international version of Windows that does allow you to change the language, but if this version isn't on your machine then you're out of luck.

This is all off the top of my head. I tried to find some relevant info on the web but didn't come up with anything. If anyone has more info...
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:53 AM

I presume that, since you ordered English and were able to get Swedish, that you've got the multi-language version of XP. As such (since I don't know diddly about it) I'd suggest you research the issue here: http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/drintl/...12/default.mspx

I suspect that you've changed the base language in the interface and you'll need to change it back. Then you can set the Regional Settings and the Keyboard Settings to Swedish and you should be able to function.

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2007 - 05:54 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users