Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loggin On As The Administrator.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 namfc

namfc

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 07:19 AM

I am using Windows Xp Pro on a new Dell Desktop that I have just recently set-up and installed all needed software. My computer was set-up with one user (Security). I left work this morning at 8:00AM and the computer was running just fine (I had left the computer running). When I returned several hours later the computer was still on but my desktop was changed and only three icons on the desktop. When I rebooted it did not go to the screen where you would click the user (Security) but right to Windows. I get error messages saying Norton cannot open along with several other programs. I cannot use "Restore" as I do not have Administrator Rights any longer. I cannot boot into the "Safe Mode" as it does not show any Users, Norton Go Back does not have restore points going past two hours after I left (don't know why) and when I go to account settings I cannot change anything there. At this point I cannot open any of my saved documents, some of my programs or even install any new programs.

Any ideas or is it FUBARED and I have to start all over?

I know some about computers, built several of my own, installed dozens of operating systems, work on the company network when they need help but cannot figure this one out. And no I had not gotten to the point of backing my system up yet......live and learn I guess.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Kurt

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Try doing ctrl+alt+delete twice in a row, this should take you to the login screen where you can type in a different username and password to log on.

Edited by Baloo, 20 June 2007 - 09:00 AM.

When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#3 namfc

namfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:53 PM

Back again. Tried the ctrl/alt/del and it would do nothing except bring up the task manager. Also tried booting into Safe Mode with Command Promt and could not get there. I am at work this evening (3rd shift) and will keep trying different things, if unsucsessful I guess I will just pull the hard drive, slave it to another computer at home, try to rescue my files and start all over.......sure hate to do that but at this point I am totally stumped.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:38 PM

Maybe someone changed it. I say start pointing fingers at people who had access lol.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 namfc

namfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:42 PM

I am sure someone did but no one will admit to it and even if I find out I still have the problem..although they may have some problems also!

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:46 PM

I would slave it, retrieve data and then reformat. Lock it up tight with passwords. Never leave it logged in, and make sure when you format PUT AN ADMIN PASSWORD. If you dont they will go in through safemode and they could change yours.

Gavin Seabrook

#7 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:58 PM

Back again. Tried the ctrl/alt/del and it would do nothing except bring up the task manager. Also tried booting into Safe Mode with Command Promt and could not get there. I am at work this evening (3rd shift) and will keep trying different things, if unsucsessful I guess I will just pull the hard drive, slave it to another computer at home, try to rescue my files and start all over.......sure hate to do that but at this point I am totally stumped.

After starting the Computer, hold down the shift key. This will abort the automatic login process. Then, at the Welcome Screen (where you select a user) press ctrl+alt+del twice to enter a name not listed (security).

#8 namfc

namfc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:00 AM

The only problem I have is that the "Time Clock" for the Security Department is on this system so all the Security Officers need to access this program. Should just add another User so that is all they can access!

#9 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:07 AM

You can set it up with a new user that has rights ONLY to that program. All you have to do is deny them using the computers local policy management.

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users