Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Download Video Files From Youtube... ?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

I want to download several video clips from YouTube - and then burn these to disc.

Is there a simple way of doing this? I know how to burn to disc, but I'm having a problem getting YouTube video files to appear on my desktop after I have downloaded them. They are just not appearing there, even though I've nominated downloading to desktop

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:58 AM

Hi Bone Idol,

Do you have Firefox? If not, download from here.

Then get this extension - VideoDownloader.

Whenever you want any youtube video, just click on that small icon to get the video file (.flv).
You can set the download location to desktop on Firefox options

If you want to convert your video files from .flv to other format like .avi or .mpg etc. Try SUPER, it is a video converter software and it's FREE.

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:27 AM

Thanks a lot for your help Nikas. I've found your advice very helpful.

However, I think I'll leave your SUPER link alone, because I think they're having an April Fools joke on us. I pressed Download half a dozen times and all they do is pass you on to another SUPER page, and then another, and another.... as far as I can see they never actually let you download anything. Very odd.

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

#4 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:46 AM

Sorry, but it's not working.

I'm using Firefox, and I've got DownLoadHelper installed - but... zilch.

I've got DownLoadHelper's three little balls rotating on my toolbar, but when I right-click on the YouTube video image all I get is a useless pop-up menu.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:47 AM

It's alright, I'll post the direct link for you to get it.

SUPER

Click on the link above and you will be able to download it.

It is really very difficult to find the download link in the website as it seem to be a mess with all the words chunk together.

If you still having problem downloading it, let me know.

#6 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:51 AM

You should be downloading VideoDownloader isn't it?

If you had downloaded the correct extension, at the bottom right of the browser. There should be this icon.

Posted Image

When you are at the youtube page, you simply have to click on that little icon.

Edited by Nikas, 21 June 2007 - 06:51 AM.

#7 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:52 AM

When I left-click the DownLoadHelper animated icon I get this framed display which I don't know what I'm supposed to do with it.

Posted Image

#8 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:54 AM

You have gotten the wrong extension.

Click here to download the extension.

#9 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:55 AM

Thanks for your patience, Nikas. Yes, I can see that icon just above the tasktray.

I'll give it a go. I'll try to download SUPER again... fingers crossed! :thumbsup:

#10 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:01 AM

You are Welcome, Bone Idol.

SUPER isn't really necessary if you have FLV player in your computer. If you don't, then SUPER would be a good software to help to convert the youtube videos to other format.

#11 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:14 PM

Nikas - your SUPER link really doesn't want to cooperate with me at all. When I clicked 'Open' - up popped this message.

I'll try to use my ConvertXtoDVD application, and see if that works.

Posted Image

#12 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:52 PM

If that is ok for you, go ahead.

One more link for you, click here and scroll all the way to the bottom of the page. You should see 4 link to download the file, choose either one and download it. Double click the downloaded file from your desktop and not from Firefox Downloads.

#13 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:34 PM

I've finally installed it, Nikas!

Now all I have to do is try to sort out how to save YouTube video clips to file so that I can later burn these to disc when I have enough to make it worth while.

I didn't realise that DownLoadHelper is part of the VideoDownloader software programme.

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:07 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:56 PM

Another option would be the Firefox extension, UnPlug.
This extension lets you save video, and audio, which is embedded in a webpage.
It scans web pages and tells you where media players are getting their data from, then displays it as a page of hyperlinks.
Click Save, name it, and pick a place to save it.

For a .flv player, I use Wimpy, which is a standalone (no installation necessary) player.

Edited by tg1911, 21 June 2007 - 11:57 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:14 AM

Thanks tg1911. I've just about given up with DownlLoadHelper/VideoDownLoader... everything I try to do with it prompts half a dozen questions from me - with no answers in sight.

I would have to post up a dozen screenshots to explain why I'm so confused with this. At YouTube you've got the main screen playing a video clip - with the identity code of this clip at the righthand side. So when you rightclick the video-clip screen and highlight DownLoadHelper in the dropdown menu, you can see it has listed the identity code of this clip.

But how about all those video-clip thumbnails that are listed down the right side of the YouTube webpage? How is it they don't show an identity code unless you first click them to play them in the main screen?

I want to be able to quickly include all of these thumbnails for downloading and saving to My Documents.

Someone put me onto this piece of free software, which looks quite interesting...

http://www.zamzar.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users