Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Discrepencies And Lousy Performance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WillyB246

WillyB246

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:04 AM

Hi, great site! Thanks. My first post so i`ll just...

BIOS tells me I have 1 gig of physical memory but Windows tells me I have 3.
I actually have 4. Since I noticed this discrepency my HP with DSL has become
slower than dial-up.
I have tried most of the on-line scans, Pit Stop, Norton, House Cleaning, Stinger...
They all tell me that my memory is too slow responding to a request interupt - in
DMA, I guess. So, I think the request times out?? Web pages sometimes takes
4 or 5 minutes to load or don`t and if I have two windows up it freezes. Warning
pop-ups saying there is not enough memory to complete the request.

Man, I haven`t got a clue. Pretty new computer but HP tech support did a remote
and said the L caches weren`t enabled but BIOS says they are! HP put me
on hold and never came back.

Would anyone have any idea about this? Thanks, so much.

Willy

Win XP Pro SP2
Dual Athlons
Raid 0 - Striped
4 gigs RAM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:47 AM

Windows won't recognize more than about 3.25 to 3.5 gB of RAM (this is due to how it allocates address space) on a 32 bit system. 64 bit systems will recognize the entire amount.

I don't know if this will affect you, but several high end HP's that I've worked on have had BIOS issues with the hard drive recognition order. Be advised that these were all IDE systems without RAID. The fix was to disable all IDE channels that did not have anything on them (set it to None in the BIOS), then to move the boot drive over to be the Primary Master. I'd try something similar with your HP, but am not that familiar with RAID.

Next, I'd scour the information about your motherboard that's available both from HP and from the maker of the motherboard. Let us know the exact make and model of your system and we should be able to locate a boatload of info about it. Is the RAM all DDR2 and are all chips the same size and model? Have you run Memtest86 on the RAM to check it? (free here: http://www.memtest86.com/ )

Finally, I'd do some in-depth checking of the settings in the RAID array to see if there's something there that's causing this.

EDIT: I have 4gB of RAM also (an MSI mobo), and haven't noticed any problem with the unrecognized RAM. I wonder if there could be an issue with the unrecognized RAM interfering with the workings of the rest of the RAM - haven't found an answer for that. You may want to try it with only 2 gB of RAM in the system to see if that "fixes" it.

Edited by usasma, 21 June 2007 - 05:49 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 WillyB246

WillyB246
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:40 PM

Hey, thanks, buddy

I appreciate that. This really is a great site with some good and knowledgable
people.

I flashed the BIOS and went back to default and then found a BIOS upgrade. So
my system is running OK.

Thanks, again

Willy

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:30 AM

Could you give us a link to the BIOS upgrade page? I'd like to see what HP has done and haven't been able to find that link myself.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users