Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Start Up Help Plz

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Relicario

Relicario

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 02:03 AM

Hi. First of all, i'm new to this forum. I've been looking all over this site to find a solution to my computer problem but didn't find anything

My issue:
My cousin let me have a computer because he messed it up somehow. When i turn it on, it goes to the screen that says that the computer had been shut down improperly. And it gives you the option of choosing how you want it to start up (Safe mode, Last known good configuration, etc.). When i choose to start up normally, the screen turns black and nothing else happens. When i choose safe mode, a list pops out that say system32/......bla bla. and then all of a sudden it just stops and freezes there.
Any ideas on how i could fix this? Do i need to reboot the computer? if so, can you please give me steps or a link on how to do this?

Thanks. I would really appreciate it if someone could spend some of their time to help me out.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:33 PM

OK, right out the box let me welcome you to BleepingComputer.com where almost anything is possible. (Almost)

Let's start with Windows. Which Windows and what version of Windows do you have. That is important to finding a solution.
We need the complete error code displayed. It may appear to be random numbers and letters but that have clues to what is going on with your system.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Relicario

Relicario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 11:19 PM

I never got to use this computer, so i don't really have much info on it. All i know is that it had windows98 and pentium iii (it has the stickers on it).

It doesn't show any errors, when i start it, it goes to the sony screen. From that it goes to a black screen saying that the computer was shut down improperly. Then it starts counting down from 20something and gives me the options.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:55 AM

OK, and after the count down from 20 what happens? And what is the reference to /system32/... you made in your first post?
Do youn have the Windows 98 disks?

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 11:52 AM

I think this is XP not 98.
98 doesnt have Last known good configuration in the startup menu.
98 doesnt show a list of files when booting safe mode like XP does. I just checked to confirm both
Just because it has a 98 sticker on it that does not mean that is what is installed.

The Windows startup menu will tell you what version it is (98 or xp)
The first thing we need to know is what version of Windows this is

Edited by Eyesee, 21 June 2007 - 12:03 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#6 Relicario

Relicario
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 12:51 AM

OK, and after the count down from 20 what happens? And what is the reference to /system32/... you made in your first post?
Do youn have the Windows 98 disks?

After the countdown it just stays there. Nothing happens. When i choose to start up in safe mode, it starts showing a list of directories that all lead to that folder.

I think this is XP not 98.
98 doesnt have Last known good configuration in the startup menu.
98 doesnt show a list of files when booting safe mode like XP does. I just checked to confirm both
Just because it has a 98 sticker on it that does not mean that is what is installed.

The Windows startup menu will tell you what version it is (98 or xp)
The first thing we need to know is what version of Windows this is

I don't get to the startup menu. Just the Sony screen and the options i stated before. My cuzin doesn't know either, i asked and he said he never go past that screen :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 01:44 AM

Does it say /system32/...bla, bla,.. or is there more to the file listed. Like mups.dll?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users