Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just Made My First Website.

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

My ISP offers free space for a website so I thought I would have a go at building one. I am still modifying it but would appreciate any comments, constructive or not.
Website is here http://people.aapt.net.au/wildchild2/index.html

I used PageBreeze HTML Editor to build it and Fastream NETile to upload. Both programs are free.

I nervously await your comments :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:30 PM

The swimming pool looks good to me right now as I bake in the heat here.

#3 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:24 AM

I have done some more work on my website to remove a lot of personally identifying info.

All comments and suggestions appreciated! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 01:04 PM

Nice and clean. I suggest you make your navigation links a side menu and have all your content to the right of it. That way people don't always have to scroll down in order to navigate.

#5 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Thanks for the comments, Grinler. I have taken your suggestion on board and have moved the picture from the top down under the links so that the links are at the top. It does look better.

I am still learning this stuff and all help and criticism appreciated.
Posted Image

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:11 AM

Much better imho :thumbsup:

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:27 AM

I've viewed it with IE 7 and Safari.

You might also try to add a "background" color, since the white seems a little harsh, at least to me.

Just a faint tint of blue, green, or maybe, gray.

Just a friendly suggestion.

Edited by JohnWho, 21 June 2007 - 08:27 AM.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thanks for the comments, guys. I am thinking of changing the colour of the background as even I thought it was a bit bright.

One more thing, probably for Grinler. I put a link to Bleeping Computer on my page but I didn't ask first if that was ok. My apologies for that and if it is not the done thing I will remove it.

Keep checking as I am adding things all the time. Next will be a page of pics of my BMW model collection.
Posted Image

#9 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:40 AM

I'm back! I have done some more work on my website as per some suggestions. I am really excited at the moment, I managed to edit the HTML code to change the page colours. This is something I would not have even contemplated 12 months ago. I have learned so much since I have been on the net and reading forums such as this. Everyone is so helpful and doesn't make us newbies feel like dummies and I just want to say thank you to anyone who has helped me or offered suggestions.
:thumbsup: :flowers:
Posted Image

#10 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:36 PM

Wow, that looks much better! Good job.

:thumbsup:

Now, if we could just get you to empty that ashtray on your computer desk.

:flowers:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#11 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

I agree...I would, though, immediately remove your email address so it does not get harvested by spambots.

#12 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:45 PM

Yeah John, one day I wont need that at all! I normally hide that when I take pics :thumbsup:
Thanks for the comments.
Posted Image

#13 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Thats not my primary email so it doesn't really matter if it gets spammed. Grinler, did you see my query up above?
Posted Image

#14 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,536 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:17 PM

Sorry didn't see that. You never need permission to link back to someone's site. People actually like when you do it.

#15 wildchild2

wildchild2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:00 PM

Thanks Grinler. I wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. Is there a banner I can get to put with the link?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users