Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Problem Again...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

I know I've made a few post about this in the past, but now I really am stumped.

My graphics card (an ATI Radeon x1300 PCI) will sometimes turn off while playing games, as in no image will appear on my screen. My computer will still run though because I can still hear the game sounds, and/or my friends talking to me on xfire voice chat. Anyways, here is a list of things I've already tried:

Updating drivers

Updating directx

Using older/omega drivers

Better power supply with 400 watts and 20a on 12v rail

After all this I just ended up returning it, still have problems but not as frequently.

So now I'm thinking its heat, and these are the steps I tried for cooling (none worked):

Leaving side penal opened

Cleaning off old thermal paste and applying (small) amount of new. Tried this twice.

Strapping on another fan to the back of the graphics card where the GPU sits on the other side (it gets really hot there!). Using this to blow directly on the back of the card and the other fan was exhaust. I felt the card when it was screwing up and it felt ice cold....

So now I am really stumped as to what is the cause of this :thumbsup: .

Think its time for a new computer lol? I guess I have a lot of lawn mowing to do this summer :flowers: !

Really though, if anyone has any idea what could be wrong, I'd appreciate it!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:02 AM

Has the extra cooling slowed down the problem - or does it still occur as frequently as it did without the extra cooling?

A clean install of XP with all updates and drivers will "fix" any software problems that exist - so if you still have the problem after doing it, then you can presume it's a hardware issue. Then it's a matter of testing all the components until you find the one that's causing the issue. Drastic, but it'll at least eliminate software as an issue.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:22 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:25 AM

Thanks for the reply! This morning I turned on my computer, and played NBA Live 07 which has been giving me the most problems (just got the game a few days ago). I played it on 800x600 resolution with everything on medium settings. I was getting better frame rates then usual, between 40-80 FPS. Then after I played that game which was 12 minutes long in total, I decided to turn up the resolution to 1024x768 and low settings. The game ran smoother then usual also giving me 30-50 FPS. It was going great with no problems, but then in the 4th quarter with 3 second's left the game froze for a second and my display was gone :thumbsup: .

So I think this really did help because usually my display craps out within the first 2 quarters of a game no matter what resolution/detail settings I have it on.

Now I'm thinking, maybe there's a way to better place the fans? Here are some pictures:

Standard fan

added on fan

Inside case
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 mooniniteman

mooniniteman

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 10:48 AM

"It was going great with no problems, but then in the 4th quarter with 3 second's left the game froze for a second and my display was gone."

Were you in the playoffs?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users