Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Very Slow File Downloads

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jiclemens

jiclemens

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:14 PM

Hello,
I am running Windows Vista Ultimate that is past the support window of 90 days. I have a small network and experience the download issue only on the Vista machine. I have ruled out Comcast and the Router as the source. The Vista machine runs Windows Live OneCare for antivirus and general maintenance. Webpage activation seems reasonable for most. There are no toolbars or other malware programs running though I did download AdAware SE to see if it would help. I noticed a similar thread in 2005 where the writer solved it by removing some application I've never run. My download speed has been clocked at about 25 mbps which is slower than dialup and totally unacceptable. My NIC is current and upload speeds appear to be better than normal. I have not tried HijackThis yet.
Sincerely,
John Clemens

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:30 PM

Are you using a torrent downloader? Or are we talking about any downloads in general?

#3 jiclemens

jiclemens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

I'm sorry. I don't know what a torrent downloader is. I doubt I'm using it. It seems to be anything downloaded from the web. Also using the latest Internet Explorer. Have not tested Mozilla. I have not tested a file transfer from my other computer to the slow one. I've been measuring download speed using primarily the Speakeasy.net speed test.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:40 AM

Try the downloads on the other system - if they're normal, then it's a system problem. If not, then we'll have to start with the router and work out from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jiclemens

jiclemens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 03:36 PM

On the other computer file downloads from the web are normal. Today I also did a file copy from the Laptop wireless connection to this bad Vista system and it was extremely fast.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:32 AM

So, there appears to be something wrong with the "bad" system - or with it's settings in the router. Now, to rule out IE as the culprit, please download a free browser ( I like Firefox from here: http://www.mozilla.com ) and see if the downloads speed up.

If they do speed up with Firefox, then it's likely that IE is your problem.
If they don't, then it's likely that it's either your network connection (or, again) problems with a setting in the router.

To rule out the router, you'll need to reset the router to it's default state. You can either press the reset button in the back, reset it through it's web interface, or turn it off for 30 minutes. Then test the speeds again (both with Firefox and IE).

You can create another connection in your Network and Sharing Center to see if that helps also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 jiclemens

jiclemens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 10:46 AM

As I mentioned, I ruled out the router as the source by re-routing my ethernet cable directly from the cable modem into the NIC card, thus bypassing the router altogether.

I also rebooted into safe mode with networking to see if some service could be a problem but still no success.

I downloaded and ran Firefox. I like the browser but download speeds did not improve.

Thanks,
John

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

I'd suggest deleting your network connection and network adapter, then reinstall them. If that doesn't work, we can try rebuilding the TCP stack using these instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299357

#9 Giedrius M

Giedrius M

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 05:01 AM

Strangely enough, i noticed this problem also when got my pc with vista preinstalled - The data transfer is much slower compared to xp on almost exactly same laptop (brand differs, but configuration almost not), anyway, i do not have a superb internet connection now and I never download directly to this laptop... I am thinking is it possible that VISTA security layer slows down the connection significantly, or perhaps the windows defender is checking the incoming stream...
My blog majauskas.com

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 06:28 AM

I've been using Vista since it's early beta days, and there has been a lot of attention paid to the networking features of the OS by Microsoft. I don't have any issues with download, either at home, at the wife's office, or at my work. When we have network issues at work, I do notice that XP downloads will fail or be corrupted, while the Vista downloads will take longer (I presume that Vista is trying harder to ensure that the download is not corrupted).

It's also possible that your connection isn't Vista compatible. There is an ISP in my area that's telling people that Vista isn't compatible with their network and that they have to wait until SP1 to get compatibility. ISP's using older systems may not be able to handle IPv6 or the fact that the DHCP broadcast flag is turned on by default.

I expect SP1 to address some issues with networking, most likely in the TTF (time to failure) and also in the file copying area (time to transfer) - but that's purely guesswork on my part.

Finally, try this free tool to analyze your connection: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/too...gd/default.mspx
It may give you some idea of where the problems lie. FYI - It's a new tool and may have some issues (for example, it says my router isn't Vista Logo certified (but it is), and it says UPnP isn't enabled (which it is))

Edited by usasma, 22 June 2007 - 06:37 AM.

#11 jiclemens

jiclemens
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:45 PM

With this HP computer the network interface was tied to the motherboard. I could not find any updated drivers for it but one of the network performance tests I ran indicated a high level of packet loss, so I continued to suspect bad network hardware. I put in a brand new d-link card yesterday and that completely resolved the issue.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:47 PM

"Nothing succeeds like success!" Glad you figured it out and have fixed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users