Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Compatability

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 satnam

satnam

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 08:06 AM

Is it ok to mix different branded memory providing the rating is the same??
different brand i mean different manufacturers

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:36 AM

It depends, if you are going to run it in dual channel then the modules will have to have the exact same specs. If you are going to run in dual channel you will find that there are "kits' sold by manufacturers that generally will be less expensive than purchasing them separately. You can use modules of different manufacturers, but as I mentioned, they will have to have the exact same specs, there will always be some differences between modules produced by different manufacturers and if you are doing something demanding like three D imaging then you may find that the matched pairs that come in kits are better.

If you are not going to be running dual channel then it doesn't matter if the modules are from the same manufacturer as long as they are compatible to your motherboard. You can even mix different speeds, but there will be a trade off in the form of underclocking. Example: if you use a PC2700 module and a PC3200 module the PC3200 will only run as fast as the slower PC2700.

RAM is one of those items that you get what you pay for, if you want quality stay away from value RAM, I personally like Crucial and Corsair. Both of these manufacturers have a means of determining what modules of theirs will be compatible with your motherboard, they will tell you the number of expansion slots and the maximum amount of RAM you can use in each slot.

Edited by dc3, 19 June 2007 - 09:47 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:51 PM

Just to amplify on this a bit, I've seen several laptops recently that won't take "discount" RAM - the discount RAM installed in the laptop is incompatible with the other discount RAM modules that we sell at my shop. Using a decent brand name RAM (even the Value Select series) will usually work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users