Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer "switching" Between Os? Surely Not...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 justifiable

justifiable

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:23 AM

I feel at my wits end with this "bleeping computer"! There's so many strange things going on I'm beginning to wonder if there's not a ghost in my PC LOL.

My biggest problem, I'll try my best to describe it. I have Windows XP Professional, for starters. Sometimes my taskbar and the buttons on my windows look like they "revert" back to the old Window's 98 format (flat, square buttons) from like anywhere to 45 seconds to a minute and then back again. After it's done this, my modem doesn't work, won't disconnect from the internet but at the same time, won't do anything at all on the net.

I still have dial-up by the way.

I've run all my spyware, e.g: SpySweeper, Ad-Aware, Spybot Search & Destroy, and even Yahoo Anti-Spy. SpySweeper keeps finding Virtumonde(sp) and it says it quarantined it but with each run, it finds it again. So I thought, I'll reboot in Safe Mode and run it again and see if that will help remove the problem. Now my second problem. When I try to reboot in Safe Mode I get a screen where I have the option of logging in under the Admin account or my main account that I use. The problem is this: When I try to click to enter under the Admin account, it asks for a password. I don't remember ever having been asked for a password in the past when I've booted into Safe Mode, I'm stuck on what the password could be. And when I try to log in under my main account in Safe Mode, I get nothing but a black screen with "Safe Mode" in the four corners of the screen, and that's all.

My computer is also slow. It takes some applications (like windows folders and Firefox application, WinAmp, Yahoo! Messenger, MSN Messenger) forever to load. Each time I boot up, I hit ctrl, alt, delete and bring up the task manager and I see the processes qmedia.exe, urdvxc.exe, and irdvxc.exe. Also several svchost.exe and spoolsv.exe. I usually close the qmedia, urdvxc.exe, and irdvxc.exe because after a google search, I learned they were bad. I leave the svchost.exe and the spoolsv.exe because I learned through google search that I need those, but some can be disguised as alware/spyware.

Can anyone PLEASE help? I'm at my wits end and I feel like I've become obsessed with running scans on my computer to find the problem. Just tell me what to do and I will do it. Here's some information about my computer and if you need more I'll do my best to answer. I have a Dell (a rather old one at that, so old I only have 12 gigs of harddrive, but I make do.), I'm running Windows XP Professional. I don't have the installation disk anymore (I don't think. I haven't been able to find it after an ex stole CD's from me) and the spyware programs I have are: Spy Sweeper, Spybot S & D, and Ad-Aware and to my knowledge, they're all up-to-date. I also have SpyBlaster working in the background. I'm working on getting AVG Anti-Virus but with dial-up and one phoneline and it being 21 plus MB - ontop of the switching problem and not being able to use my net at times for long periods of time, it's hard for me to get.

Any help would be more than appreciated, I may even give cookies away (virtual chocolate chip, they're great, I promise!) And I apologize in advance if this is posted in the wrong area.
Reality continues to ruin my life.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 11:32 AM

As far as the password goes, try " admin" I think I would try the Malware/ Hijack forum for starters
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 justifiable

justifiable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 AM

Posted 29 June 2007 - 07:22 AM

Thanks! I actually tried a password I use for everything, thinking maybe I had set it to ask for a password and just didn't remember doing it. And it worked, it let me into the Admin safe mode. But I'm still having problems with the "switching" thing. Sorry if I posted in the wrong area, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

--feels so stupid--
Reality continues to ruin my life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users