Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Whipping Cruel And Inhumane Punishment?

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:35 PM

A Bahamian man who is to be flogged 10 times with a whip and seven years in prison for raping a six-year-old girl is going to appeal the 'flogging'. (The whipping - from a whip made of nine, knotted cords - would come in two sessions spread over two weeks).

(Quote) "Prosecutors had sought a 14-year sentence last month in addition to flogging after Bridgewater pleaded guilty to unlawful sexual intercourse with the child. The girl was in hospital for more than two weeks after she was raped and left in an abandoned car last year".

Apparently his lawyer has said, ""Seven years was enough under law but the cat-o'-nine tails is harsh and inhumane," Watson said, noting his client has shown remorse". And the Grand Bahama Human Rights Association has denounced it as a "a vicious, obscene and sordid invention by white slave masters" that should be abolished.

(Source and full story: http://www.mytelus.com/ncp_news/article.en...ticleID=2706196 )

Hmmm. Why do I suspect that what he did to the little girl exceeds 'harsh and inhumane'. And how 'odd' that the man seems content with the 7 year prison sentence but objects to be physically 'mistreated'.

Does anyone feels the 10 lashes apt punishment? And that perhaps some sort of punishment other than simply 'time spent in jail' is sometimes appropriate? Or perhaps feel that any punishment other than being imprisoned is too harsh?
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 05:27 AM

Does anyone feels the 10 lashes apt punishment? And that perhaps some sort of punishment other than simply 'time spent in jail' is sometimes appropriate?

I have no problem with it. But then, I believe in the death penalty too. I does deter crime, the person who is executed will never again commit a crime. I also believe in equal punishment. If you beat someone to death, be beaten to death. If you rape, get raped, but that's likely to happen in prison... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:25 AM

Hmmm. Why do I suspect that what he did to the little girl exceeds 'harsh and inhumane'. And how 'odd' that the man seems content with the 7 year prison sentence but objects to be physically 'mistreated'.

Does anyone feels the 10 lashes apt punishment? And that perhaps some sort of punishment other than simply 'time spent in jail' is sometimes appropriate? Or perhaps feel that any punishment other than being imprisoned is too harsh?

Andrew Bridgewater showed no compassion for this innocent 6yr old Girl,and I see no reason why anybody of sound mind would show any compassion to this Animal.The Judge punished him for his shocking Crime,and in cases like this,the appeal process should be denied.IMHO.Does anybody realize the damage this would inflict on this poor Girl? The only reason Andrew Bridgewater is showing remorse is because he was caught.
If I was the Judge,I would have ordered Castration,because his is sick in the mind,and can't control his urges.Jailed for life,and no chance of ever being released back into the community.He also should be ordered to work hard every day for the rest of his life to help pay for his upkeep in Jail,so less Taxes go to keeping this creep. He wouldn't be still alive if he did this to any of my Grand Children.
I hope this Excellent Topic is not spoiled by the usual Do-Gooders.

#4 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 06:36 AM

I would agree with most, but disagree on some points. Where I agree....

The Death Penalty does indeed deter crime, and I think in our country (America), the process should be quicker, and made public. I also think that certain cases of rape should be punishable by the death penalty. Rape is virtually killing a young woman in my eyes. I totally agree DSTM that no compassion was shown for this child.

I don't believe in an eye-for-an-eye. I respect those that do, but I feel that the person being asked to commit the same act against the offender is placed in a bad position. And DSTM...Castration is a little harsh...and I would fully support the decision to do so. Men like him don't deserve to use their "equipment".

Great question. I don't think its apt punishment...especially if trying to deter future incidences. I know in America, I would like to see more harsh penalties for rapists.

#5 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

Spread over 2 weeks!! How about a session each week for the duration of his gaol term. At the same hour, on the same day, each and every week so that he really has something to look forward to, then we may just see some real remorse.

A solid dose of chemical castration wouldn't go astray either.

That little girl will never grow up being the happy go lucky kid that she was, and the saddest thing is that she will probably end up riddled with guilt for something that was entirely outside her control.

In addition to the act itself, he has effectively ruined the rest of her life. Physical scars will heal over time, but what about the mental ones?

Does he, in all honesty, expect consideration about anything. Certainly none from yours truly.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 09:28 AM

Why waste anymore time and energy? Run him through with a sword and let him die. Let the animals eat his corpse. People who perform these actions have forfeited their priveledge of living in our communities.

And that poor little girl. OMG, her innocence ripped from her before she even got to enjoy it!

F*@& it! I'll run him through! The fact that we even deliberate what to do with someone like this blows my mind.

As for the topic at hand... I think public whipping should be used in other cases. In this one, he is too far beyond what a whip can impart. But, for other crimes, this form of punishment may be the ticket. I mean, we have to try something different, what we are doing now isn't working.

And about that crap of racism. It's really amazing that Blacks think they are the only race or community to ever have been enslaved. I am no advocate of slavery in the slightest, but every race has been enslaved at some point. It is so self-righteous to make the claim that whipping someone in public for commiting a crime to the community has anything to do with race. Like the Jews weren't whipped by the Egyptians. Like Native Americans weren't whipped by other tribes when taken prisoner. Like noone was whipped during the Spanish Inquisition.

Oh, I forgot, the whip was invented solely to keep the Black man enslaved.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:44 PM

Oh, I forgot, the whip was invented solely to keep the Black man enslaved.

Really?

I thought that was why the Democratic Party was invented!

ba dum bump!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

Edit to remove double post.

Edited by JohnWho, 21 June 2007 - 12:50 PM.

#9 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:47 PM

That was a good one. :thumbsup:

It was actually invented for Indiana Jones to swing over gaps.

#10 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

:thumbsup: :flowers: I didn't even think about that! Good call jwinathome!
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#11 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:58 PM

That was a good one. :thumbsup:

It was actually invented for Indiana Jones to swing over gaps.

Thanks jwinathome, but -

I believe Zorro actually pre-dates Indiana Jones, doesn't he?

#12 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:01 PM

Believe Devo said it best:

Whip it!

Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your mommas back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When somethings going wrong
You must whip it

Now whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
Its not too late
To whip it
Whip it good

When a good time turns around
You must whip it
You will never live it down
Unless you whip it
No one gets away
Until they whip it

I say whip it
Whip it good
I say whip it
Whip it good

Crack that whip
Give the past the slip
Step on a crack
Break your mommas back
When a problem comes along
You must whip it
Before the cream sits out too long
You must whip it
When somethings going wrong
You must whip it

Now whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
Its not too late
To whip it
Into shape
Shape it up
Get straight
Go forward
Move ahead
Try to detect it
Its not too late
To whip it
Whip it good

#13 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:03 PM

#14 JohnWho

JohnWho

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

Well, maybe -

listening to Devo's "Whip it"

could be considered cruel and inhumane punishment, couldn't it?

:flowers:

#15 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 21 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

I think you've got a truly valid point, jwinathome - any punishment that will truly deter future vicious crime has surely got to be better than the system we have now, sadly.

We have people rallying the troops to object to the proposed 10 lashes this creep has been sentenced to (and, as blueandgold04 pointed out, what interesting reasons they have chosen as the basis of their fight!) but I wonder if these same people are spending an equal amount of money and time on the little victim and her famiy as they are on defending this and other vicious criminals from receiving a few physical ouchies of their own?).

And I imagine many would object to the whipping because our civilization has become so civilized that it would be just wrong, wrong, wrong to stop blaming people's actions on an "imperfect childhood, etc" - after all, how civilized would we be if we expected vile criminals to acknowledge each of us alone must take respnsibility for what we do. Huge huge sigh.

And yes, I imagine that either the physical or chemical 'castration' of this and similar villans would be objected to by many as 'unfair and inhumane' - but surely it would be more humane to protect future innocents over the "rights" of a vicious criminal? As DSTM and Rowal said, this tiny life may live on breathing and eating, etc, but surely the spirit of this little girl is blighted forever.

For all our advancements in so many areas, we seem to have 'overdone' something in our justice system. Forgotten the 'justice' for so many innocent victims. And while we can't truly fix the ruined lives of the victims, we can do everything within our power to ensure that, no matter the 'reason' behind these crimes', that people think twice about committing them and especially about being repeat offenders.

The threat of prison doesn't seem to do it - but how odd that these same people who feel free to destroy and even end other lives are often the ones who instantly scream for their 'human rights' who threatened by their own physical ouchies.

Yup, maybe our civilization would truly be civilized if we stopped pandering to the ones in our society who are NOT the victims!

In this case, bring on the whip!!

Would you vote to have whipping included in punishment for certain crimes? Would you vote to have 'nourishing and wholesome' meals fed to prisoners, but no 'frills'?

If we could change our penal system, what would we really vote for, I wonder?

- -
PM to DSTM - thanks for the 'off topic'! Know no harm was meant by would hate to have topic pulled by a Moderator - gentle smile.
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users