Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated RAM shows in BIOS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 little_5150

little_5150

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:00 PM

Evening,
I have updated my Dell Dimension 8400. 3.4ghz, with 2 more 1gb DDR2 533 mhz chips for a total of 4 gigs. It shows up in the BIOS but when I go to My Computer/View system information, it says I only have 3 gigs. Anyone have an idea how that can be? Thanks in advance for your time in this matter.
Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:05 PM

Windows version?
Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 little_5150

little_5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:07 PM

Sorry,
Windows XP 2005 Media
Richard

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:48 PM

By default XP sets it Virtual Memory (swapfile) to 1.5 x available Ram. What size is your swapfile set to now? You may have to manually set it to 6GB if you have that much free space.

See this MS KB on How to set performance options in Windows XP.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 January 2005 - 08:52 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:56 PM

You said that you added 2 more 1 GIG RAM chips, for a total of 4 GIG. It only had 1 GIG to start with. Did you add another one before these 2? If you did, does all of the RAM have the same speed?

If I may say, this is a nice computer. Have you tried out a PCI-X 16x video card?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 little_5150

little_5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:59 PM

Thank You Very Very Much. The kids can't wait to play their new game on My machine. Sometimes I wonder if it's even my computer. Good Night. Richard

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:13 PM

Glad we could help Richard. Thanks for posting back.

BTW, welcome to BC.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 little_5150

little_5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:31 PM

Well,
I guess I celebrated a little premature. Here's what happened. I tried to set the page file size as directed but it kept telling me not to exceed 4096. How can that be. Its supposed to be 1.5 times and 3 times which with my calculator totals 6144 and 12288. Is it just late or am I already sleeping here. Richard

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 10:36 PM

Try to avoid having a paging file on the same drive as the system files

Did you try that? And this:

By default, Windows places the page file on the boot partition where the operating system is installed. To determine the size of the pagefile multiply the amount of physical RAM by 1.5 to a maximum of 4095 MB. However, placing the pagefile on the boot partition does not optimize performance because Windows has to perform disk I/O on both the system directory and the pagefile. Therefore, it is recommended that you place the pagefile on a different partition and different physical hard disk drive so that Windows can handle multiple I/O requests more quickly.

However, completely removing the pagefile from the boot partition does not allow Windows to create a crash dump file (Memory.dmp) should a kernel mode STOP error occur. Not having this crash dump file could lead to extended server downtime should the STOP require a debug to be performed.

The optimal solution, other than the solution of adding more physical memory, is to do the following: 1. Create one pagefile on the boot partition by using the default settings.
2. Create another pagefile on a less frequently used partition on a separate physical disk or RAID volume.

Got that here. If you set it to 4095 MB what does System Information show?

Edited by Leurgy, 21 January 2005 - 10:38 PM.

#10 little_5150

little_5150
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:51 PM

Thanks again but I only have one 400 gb drive. Just tell me that this won't hurt the computer. I think I can live with it. Richard

#11 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:08 AM

No, it wont hurt the computer. If XP came preloaded its unfortunate that the drive wasn't partioned. Not sure if you can still do it if you want as its a Dell. Adding one or more partitions will isolate the OS from your data so if you do need to reload XP your files will be safe from deletion. Running the Dell Restore CD WILL delete all your data.

Edited by Leurgy, 22 January 2005 - 12:09 AM.

#12 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 10:18 AM

That is an interesting find. It would seem that if you have 4GIG RAM, then you do not have a need for a paging file. Very interesting indeed.

The link is for "Configuring page files for optimization and recovery in Windows Server 2003, in Windows 2000, and in Windows NT".

Here is an excerpt from the help file from XP about it:

For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the amount of RAM on your system. Usually, you should leave the paging file at its recommended size, although you might increase its size if you routinely use programs that require a lot of memory.

I have always believed that the paging file should always be on the same partition as the OS. Maybe server types differ from home versions.

It is certainly open for debate.

#13 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi JE

I see what your saying about the OS's that link applies to but if you look at the HJT logs XP is identified as "Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)" so I'm thinking it would be close enough to apply or I wouldn't have posted it.

That is an interesting find. It would seem that if you have 4GIG RAM, then you do not have a need for a paging file. Very interesting indeed.

You always need a swap file. In the first link I posted it says:

To have Windows select the best paging file size, click System managed size. The recommended minimum size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer, and 3 times that figure for the maximum size. For example, if you have 256 MB of RAM, the minimum size is 384 MB, and the maximum size is 1152 MB.
For best performance, do not set the initial size to less than the minimum recommended size under Total paging file size for all drives. The recommended size is equivalent to 1.5 times the RAM on your computer. It is good practice to leave the paging file at its recommended size. However, you may increase its size if you frequently use programs that use much memory.
To delete a paging file, set both the initial size and the maximum size to zero, or click No paging file. We strongly recommend that you do not disable or delete the paging file."

I think when you have two HDD's you set a smaller page file on the drive with the OS and the larger one on the other drive. The second link says:

The optimal solution, other than the solution of adding more physical memory, is to do the following: 1. Create one pagefile on the boot partition by using the default settings.
2. Create another pagefile on a less frequently used partition on a separate physical disk or RAID volume.
You can create additional pagefiles for each separate physical disk or RAID volume.

Windows will use the pagefile on the less frequently used partition over the pagefile on the heavily used boot partition. Windows uses an internal algorithm to determine which page file to use for virtual memory management. In the above scenario, the following goals of the page file would be served:

The system will be properly configured to capture a Memory.dmp file should the computer experience a kernel mode STOP error.
The page file on the less frequently used partition will be used the majority of the time because it is not on a busy partition.

At least thats the way I read it. But I've been wrong before. :thumbsup:

#14 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:01 PM

You always need a swap file. In the first link I posted it says:...

You are right, maybe I paraprased it a little too much. I should have said that with 4 GIG RAM, Windows would not use the paging file as much.

I see what your saying about the OS's that link applies to but if you look at the HJT logs XP is identified as "Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)" so I'm thinking it would be close enough to apply or I wouldn't have posted it.

I meant no disrespect. You are very observant on how HJT logs sees XP as a version of NT.

At least thats the way I read it. But I've been wrong before.

I might be wrong too (see first part of this post :thumbsup: ).

Interesting situation on having so much RAM, is it not? Maybe I should build a computer with this much to see if there is a difference for anything over 2 GIG?

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 02:10 PM

Interesting idea JE, but as Bill Gates said "Nobody needs more than 64K of memory", or something along those lines. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users