Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AMD Sempron 2400+

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

ok...we're looking for a puter to send with our son to college. as i bought mine thru the paper, and had it built, and had great success (and got a great price!), we decided to try that route again.

ad reads AMD sempron 2400+, 256mb RAM, 160gbHD, AGP video, 52xCDRW, etc etc...

i've not heard of this processor, but i love my AMD...so, my trusted consultants....could i have your votes? as well as your advice??

as usual, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:02:46 AM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 07:14 PM

512 Mb RAM as minimum now. Especially if using Win XP.
(Better if more RAM.)

AMD sempron 2400+ is ok.

Hard Drive not as important. 60+ Gig is prob sufficient.
How much will they need to store. Gaming/Ripping "Tunes" is a different story.

The rest are moderate items.

You don't say what the advert price is...? That might break the deal.

Or get a "Mini-Mac" (Gag) and buy the preferrals.....

:thumbsup:

JMHIO
~Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 08:58 PM

ad reads AMD sempron 2400+, 256mb RAM, 160gbHD, AGP video, 52xCDRW, etc etc...

So whats etc etc..... and the price? I aggre , at least double the Ram for XP.

Do you get the OS? Do you get the OS CD?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:18 PM

ok..here's all the particulars that i have at the moment (if we're interested, we're meeting w/him during the week):

everything i know, besides what i already posted, is it has xp pro, norton anti 90 (double gag on norton...talk about DELETE!), it's $475, and for another $50, he'll bring it up to 512RAM; there is room for an additional HD. we're not too concerned with the OS, ...i have the xp disc...bought it for my puter. and while i know most of you don't particularly care for IE, i've not had any trouble with it (yet??). when i do, i'll consider changing!

uh, koan...no mac (gag is right!), and of COURSE there will be gaming and ripping of tunes...he's 20... :trumpet:

with everyones comments, i have to add..i'm running xp with the sp2, with 1.33GHz, and only 480RAM..should i up this?

some day i'm gonna know what questions to ask without advertising my puter illiteracy...(i must admit a good friend, who is a puter "geek", made sure my puter was ok for the price)..i paid $300; the monitor and keyboard were used, but in excellent condition. all else was brand new, it included a cd player/burner, and i got a one year warranty. i know that was a year and a half ago..but prices seem to be coming down, not going up..$475 seems a bit high to me...but i've been told i got a pretty good deal.

as ever, thanx again!!

:thumbsup: :flowers:

#5 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 04:34 PM

Can't really comment on the price but that would be a steal up here.

we're not too concerned with the OS, ...i have the xp disc...bought it for my puter

You can only install one copy of XP on one computer. So if you put yours on your sons you'll have to pick which one functions. Get the CD for future use in case you have to reinstall the OS.

Otherwise sounds like a good machine. Does that include peripherals such as the monitor, keyboard and mouse? If so what kind, ps/2, USB or wireless? Speaking of USB, thats the big thing in College these days for whats called thumb, jump or flash drives and its really essential to have USB slots on the front. The kids carry their assignments around on them. See this for some examples.

For gaming you want at least 128MB Ram video so ask about that, onboard or a card. Its all going PCI for video so AGP is yesterdays news. Ripping tunes implys a CD burner and you don't mention that. Don't forget speakers too.

Oh yeah, make sure the Power Supply is at least 350 Watts. Thats the standard right now.

You probably do have 512MB of Ram on yours with 32 being reserved for the video. (480+32=512)

Edited by Leurgy, 22 January 2005 - 04:44 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#6 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:21 PM

oh, sorry..comes with a basic keyboard/mouse, no monitor or speakers. not a big deal, as we have a few extras around here. as to the cd..i think i mentioned in the original post that it has a 52xCDRW..is that not a burner?

it has 6 usb slots. not sure...front or back.

however, what we're most concerned about is the processor. the seller tells us that it's "way" better than my athlon. if that's true, i think the rest can be dealt with alright..i have a bro in law in the bus..he can send the smaller stuff for cost. if he was closer, we'd just have HIM build the darn thing!

thanx again, all!

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:10 PM

.i'm running xp with the sp2, with 1.33GHz, and only 480RAM..should i up this?

Thats what I had ... athlonXP 2100+ with on-board nVidia graphics.The on-board takes 32MB from your available 512 RAM.
I installed a 64MB cheap ($45.00) gForce MX400 vid card to "recapture" the 32.
Like Leurgy states.

It seems like $475.00 is a good price,
$525.00 for
a GBRAM would be, too.

Comes with it's own windows CD.
CD-RW
AGP vid card.
mouse.
keyboard.
you toss in the monitor.

if he was closer, we'd just have HIM build the darn thing!

Always a good option, as you can see from some posts here, to build.

it has 6 usb slots. not sure...front or back.

Sufficient amount. You can cable up to the front, depending on the case design, if they are all in the back.

The main question, Semperon 2400+ vs. Athlon xxxx,
best I can suggest is google & read consumer comments.

Must be some online, since it's not breaking-edge technology. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 22 January 2005 - 06:13 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:47 PM

It seems like a fair deal.

Yes, the CD-RW means that it is a CD burner.

One thing I would look at is that it has at least a DVD-ROM.

Upgrade to the 512 MB RAM. It would give your son enough for what he will be using it for, unless he is going to a computer programming school.

A video card would be a great benefit. Just as others have mentioned, when you do not have a dedicated one, it will allocate some of the system RAM for the onboard video card. Even though AGP video cards may be overshadowed from the PCI-X cards, both are readily available, and the computer will have ports for either one. PCI-X cards are the "new kids on the block", so they may be a bit more expensive then an AGP one. I would ask your friends who is building it, how much extra he would charge for a 128 MB AGP video card.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:59 PM

Sorry 'bout the goof on RAM.
your's has 512, next step up being (probably) 1024=what is called a gig of RAM
It has 256, next step up = 512 for 525.00 :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users