Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ehshell.exe And .net Framework 2.0 Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 acegap

acegap

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:42 PM

I get the following error with windows vista when I try to run the media center (which used to work).

ehshell.exe - .NET Framework Initialization Error

C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorwks.dll could not be loaded

And media center won't run.

I tought I'd try to remove .net 2.0 but it isn't on the add/remove programs panel. When I try to rerun the dotnetfx.exe to reinstall, it says:

Error: Product already installed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 06:50 AM

Dunno if this will help, but the .NET Framework files are located here on my system: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework

But, I can't quite figger out how to uninstall it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 acegap

acegap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

Thanks, I had tried that. Basically I tried to manually remove the .net framework 2.0 by removing that folder as well as a dll in system32 and some registry entries.... but still when I tried to rerun the installer it said it was already installed - part of the operating system.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

Because the manual removal was incomplete, you'll either have to repair the Vista installation (hoping that that will fix it), or you'll have to start over (or you're in for an awful lot of research to find the file that it's identifying).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 acegap

acegap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:12 PM

I did repair my manual removal using vista's sfc /scannow, and it pub the v2.0.05272 folder back and the dll back into system32 for me.... in other words it repaired my manual removal attempt. But I still can't run Media Center with the same 'failed to initialize' error.

I though that I'd check if .net 2.0 was working at all and I understand that the windows sidebar software does use .net 2.0 so I tried to run that and it worked. This tells me that .net 2.0 is working ok but for some reason Media Center isn't able to initialize it.

#6 acegap

acegap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:17 PM

btw, I'm guessing that the .net installer isn't actually trying to identify anything at all. It must be doing a os version check and it won't proceed because the os is vista. If that's not then you're right, how in the hell can someone know what it is that the installer is checking for if not the folder or the dlls. It could be registry entries but my manual removal followed this guide so I thought that removing these keys would be enough:
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/200.../16/408856.aspx

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:38 AM

The blog entry that you point to specifically mentions that it won't work for Longhorn (Vista).

If the sidebar uses .NET 2.0, and the sidebar works - then .NET 2.0 is working. This leaves you with a problem with Media Center (a much more common scenario). If SFC.EXE didn't fix that, then the 2 possibilities that I can thing of are: 1) incompatible video/audio/NIC drivers or 2) a repair/reinstall of Vista.

#8 news4la

news4la

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:45 AM

Hi There

You do know that NET 2.0 is part of the Vista O S. I know I'm a couple days late with this comment. Ifigured I say it anyway.
On AIR,On LINE,On THE GO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users