Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had A Virus, Now My Modem Has Issues?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rickturner25

rickturner25

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

Okay so I tried to pull a fast one yesterday and downloaded from a sketchy site (not realizing my Norton had expired). So I downloaded a virus. My computer began restarting. When it reached the bluescreen where the desktop icons begin to appear it would restart, and restart, and restart.

Finally got it into Safe Mode and Ran every know virus scanner

Ran a mirade of anti-virus programs and I believe I cleaned it out (had Smitfraud, Torpig, Virtumonde, Zedo, proxt.xorpix.ar).

Cleaned up everything, went to Safe mode with Networking, now I have my internet back. When I try to run back in Normal, it restarts again. I read on a discussion board somewhere to unplug my modem, so I did, and it worked. Problem is im back in Normal, but if I turn my modem on, my computer restarts and will not go back into normal mode (only if I turn the dsl modem off).

Im banging my head. I tried Hijack this and cleaned out all the bad stuff, but still I can only run my computer with internet on whilst in SafeMode Network.

PLEASE NEED HELP, WILL BE GREATFUL

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 18 June 2007 - 03:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:22 PM

Have you been trained in the use of HijackThis?
You should never attempt to fix anything using HijackThis, until someone who is experienced at reading the log outputs, has a chance to review it.
Fixing the wrong items can make a computer unbootable.

Spaces, extra characters, spelling, file location, plus numerous other subtle changes, all make the difference between a good, or bad, file entry.

HijackThis is an ennumerator.
It lists what is found in certain areas of the registry, or system files, in an easily accessible manner, so that those familiar with the use and reading of HijackThis logs, and windows programs, can determine what is infecting the machine, and how to remove it.

It is not a removal tool.
It will indeed remove the entries listed, but that does not cure the underlying problem.
The problem must be properly identified first, and cured, prior to removing the entries with HJT.
Otherwise, you leave the infection, and remove the keys which are needed to identify and remove it.

Removing entries in HJT before the problem is properly identified, and correct removal instructions posted, can make the problem undetectable to other detection and removal tools.
Hijack this should only be used to clean up the entries left behind, after you have properly removed the offending program, file, trojan, worm, hijacker etc.
And this usually requires help.

I suggest you post a HJT log for our Team to examine.
They'll take you through the fix, step by step.
You shouldn't make any changes to your system, until your log has been verified as clean.
Any changes you make, could skew the results of the HJT log.

Read Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log.
Please read, and follow, all directions carefully!!!]

Then, run a log, and post it in the HJT forum, at this link. Do not, fix anything, yet.
A member, of the HJT Team, will help you out.
It may take a while to get a response, because the HJT Team are very busy. Please, be patient, these people are volunteers. They will help you out, as soon as possible.

NOTE:
Once you have made the post, please, DO NOT make another post in the HJT forum, until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. The first thing they look for, when looking for logs to reply to, is 0 replies. If you make another post, there will be 1 reply. The team member, glancing over the replies, might assume someone is already helping you out, and will not respond. So, just make your post, and let it sit there, until a team member responds. This way you will be taken care of, in the most timely manner.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users