Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Start Up Problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wellbeloved1973

wellbeloved1973

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 PM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hi i am new to this so please excuse me if i post in the wrong place or anything!!
I have been having problems on start up for a few weeks when i turn my computer on it crashes leaving me with a blank screen
,funny multi coloured lines or a barcode type picture in the middle of the screen it can take up to 20 mins of switching on and off until it finally comes on properly when it is on it runs perfectly well i am running windows xp home edition,all my spyware and firewalls are up to date i downloaded a registry cleaner which found lots of security issues but this didnt help,I have tried to defragment the hard drive as i was told this may help but it stops at 90% of analysing saying that it has been cancelled due to a error with c system volume restore i would be very grateful if someone could come up with a suggestion i am a complete novice .Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:13 PM

My first thought: does your computer use a video card or on-board graphics?
If a video card, it may be bad. And the only way to find out that I know of is to replace the card.
Other folks can offer more suggestions as to things that can cause the behavior you describe.
I'm just making my suggestion based on personal experience because the same thing happened to me last year.

#3 wellbeloved1973

wellbeloved1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:53 AM

I have no idea how would i find out if it has a video card sorry if isound a bit dumb as i said am a novice at this

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:32 AM

Hi, wellbeloved1973, The first thing you should do is try to repair the restore point Click Start, Run, type in cmd, press enter. Next type in CD\C: in after the command prompt. when you get the C:>\ prompt, type in CHKDSK C: /f you should the get a prompt asking if you want to do this at the next reboot. type Y and then hit enter. restart the machine. If this does not work you will need to clean the restore points here are instructions.: Set a New Restore Point to prevent possible reinfection from an old one. Some of the malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which sometimes can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "OK".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 wellbeloved1973

wellbeloved1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:54 AM

Hi thanks for that i have cleaned the restore points and set up a new one ,turned the computer off and on again it did a disc check and said that the restore points were invalid and that they would be truncated but it did go on first time so hopefully this has done the trick will keep the post updated.Thanks again

#6 wellbeloved1973

wellbeloved1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

Still having problems despite cleaning and setting a new restore point any other help or ideas ?

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:45 PM

Did you do chkdsk C: /f ? if you did see if you can run this online virus scan: http://support.f-secure.com/enu/home

the online scan link is in the lower right corner.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 wellbeloved1973

wellbeloved1973
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:17 AM

Hi just to let you know have figured out the problem it needed a new power unit all working fine now thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users