Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 damalulu

damalulu

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:57 PM

I have been working on my cousins computer. Updating it, etc. I told she needed to get more RAM, she only had about 150 left. Her computer was fine when it left here. Now, when you turn it on, the blue Windows page just stays there and won't go any further. I want to start it in safe more and I know how to do that, but don't know beyond that. Do you think it won't start because it just doesn't have enough memory and she needs to add the RAM or do you think we got a virus??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:20 AM

What do you mean when you say she only has 150 RAM left? Are you talking about the free space on the hard drive or the actual RAM. What is the total RAM that the computer has?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 crazynick

crazynick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 01:27 AM

bro to run xp normally 128mb ram is enough no way its prob wid ur ram,nd wat u mean by "150 ram left" ram is a temporary memory it gets flashed every time u boot,i guess the problem is wid ur hard disk booting or sm viruses both ways one good soln reinstall windows or else login thru dos delete some files and try again

#4 damalulu

damalulu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:05 AM

I read on the Microsoft site that Windows XP requires 128 MB on RAM to start. I believe this is the problem. She had about that much when the computer was shut down last time and maybe that's why it won't start up in Windows. I can't do anything with it. I'm going to Office Depot to buy some RAM and install it. Maybe this will work so that I can at least get into the system to see what else is wrong. Thanks for your help!!!

#5 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 12:02 PM

Go to safe mode and do a system restore to before the problem started.

To run System Restore in safe mode

1.Access System Restore through Help and Support.

2.Follow the instructions on your screen.

Note To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.

While the computer is in safe mode, System Restore does not create any restore points. Therefore, you cannot undo a restoration that you performed when the computer was in safe mode.

You can use System Restore to restore your computer to any restore point while in safe mode. If you cannot start the computer in standard mode, you can use System Restore to restore to a time when you could start the computer without errors.

To restore to a time when your computer started without errors, select a restore point as close to the time you remember it last started without errors.

If System Restore is suspended because of insufficient disk space, you cannot enable it by making more disk space available while in safe mode. You must restart the computer in standard mode and make more disk space available.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users