Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why Does Windows Updates Tell Me I Need To Upgrade?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:53 PM

I just went to Windows Update to check to see what ones would come up for my computer for the month, and this came up instead:

Windows Update

To use this latest version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its components. This version provides you with the following enhancements to our service:

Express and custom installation: Choose only the most recent critical updates or pick and choose from all available updates.
Smarter downloads: If downloading is interrupted, the process will start up where it left off the next time you download that update.
Smaller downloads: Only the files your computer needs are downloaded, saving download time and connection-speed costs.
One version: Only the most recent updates are offered to you.
Less clutter: You can now hide updates you don't want to see.
Update news: A News from Microsoft section on the Windows Update home page displays tips and the latest information.

Details

Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130)
1.1 MB , 3 minutes
The Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool enables you to verify that your copy of Microsoft Windows is genuine. The tool validates your Windows installation by checking Windows Product Identification and Product Activation status.

Total: 1.1 MB , 3 minutes

The description of the services doesn't sound any different from how Windows Update has always been for me, AND I already installed Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) back in February (it's listed on my Windows Update History).

I did not download (and also hid) the WGA thing that came up a couple months ago that was an actual program you had to agree to the License thing for, etc. (as I read that was something that always ran on your computer and people had problems with it) -- that one was called Windows Genuine Advantage Notification KB905474. But this one has the same number as the one that shows as having already been installed back in Feb.! So do I need to install this again? Why?

I also notice that the "show hidden updates" link is "ghosted out" for me now for some reason. So I can't show the hidden updates at this time (though maybe that'll come back after I install (again) this KB892130 thing?).

Could this have anything to do with the fact that I did a database restore in ZoneAlarm Free? Or that when I went to Windows Update this time, ZA added Explorer to the ZA Program Control, then after this popped up, I removed it from Program Control to see if that made difference?

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:29 PM

There's no good reason *not* to install WGA as they are delivered to you like all other MS critical updates. Different versions of WGA have come out since it was first introduced. What you do with Zonealarm should not affect MS updates. Go ahead and install whatever WGA updates that come up. In fact, MS will not deliver any other updates until WGA is installed.

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

CAN A MOD MERGE THIS THREAD INTO:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96448/why-does-windows-updates-tell-me-i-need-to-upgrade/

THIS THREAD GOT POSTED FIRST BY ACCIDENT AND HAS AN INCORRECT TITLE.

THE THREAD LINKED ABOVE IS THE ACTUAL THREAD.

THANKS!
:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:49 PM

There's no good reason *not* to install WGA as they are delivered to you like all other MS critical updates. Different versions of WGA have come out since it was first introduced. What you do with Zonealarm should not affect MS updates. Go ahead and install whatever WGA updates that come up. In fact, MS will not deliver any other updates until WGA is installed.

Thanks for the reply. I understand what you are saying.

But what I don't understand is why I'd have to install the same thing again...? It has the same KB#... And when I go to the link for it at Microsoft, it doesn't look like it's been updated since Feb. (which is when I first installed it). So could that mean it's not recognizing that my computer has it already for some reason? (Even though it's listed on my Installed Updates History at Windows Update...?)

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

PS. If you happen to know anything about ZoneAlarm, I just posted a question related to this (but about the Explorer / Program Control part) here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96451/i-removed-explorer-from-zonealarm-program-control/

#5 Woodstock

Woodstock

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:22 PM

Hi there,

Just a few days ago I did win update on three of my computers and each one displayed the above screen. So I installed whatever it was asking for and it did something then I was able to use Win update like usual. I did this for all three computers and have not had any problems resulting from it. ZoneAlarm is not involved in any way (except for allowing IE to access the internet).

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:33 PM

Thanks for the post! Good to know! :thumbsup:

Do you recall (or do you have listed) that same KB number from back in Feb. in your Installed Update History?

It sounds like maybe they just updated the same KB# with a new version that you need to have now to use Windows Updates...

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 June 2007 - 02:33 PM.

#7 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:36 PM

I believe all it is is to check that your Windows version is authentic so it can install the updates. Nothing to be afraid of.

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:49 PM

I believe all it is is to check that your Windows version is authentic so it can install the updates. Nothing to be afraid of.

Thanks for the post! Yeah, I know that's what it does... I just thought it odd that it was asking me to install what appears to be the same thing it shows that I already installed back in February, you know? Right now, I'm guessing it's somehow an updated version of the same thing (although when you look it up on Microsoft, it appears to be the same one from back in Feb.) -- maybe someone will be able to verify one way or the other.

Edited by bloomcounty, 18 June 2007 - 02:49 PM.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:55 PM

Topics merged per your request, They merge chronologically by date and time, I have no control over that.

Edit: also just deleted your first post which you edited to have nothing in it. :thumbsup:

Edited by Animal, 18 June 2007 - 04:23 PM.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#10 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:03 PM

Thanks, Animal! :thumbsup:

#11 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,539 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:18 PM

You're quite welcome, and thank you for requesting the merge of related topics. Keeps it all nice and tidy and easier to follow.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#12 Woodstock

Woodstock

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

Do you recall (or do you have listed) that same KB number from back in Feb. in your Installed Update History?

I only have KB892130 once in my Update History and that is from last week. Nothing matches from Feb.

#13 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:18 AM

I only have KB892130 once in my Update History and that is from last week. Nothing matches from Feb.

Then that implies (at least somewhat) that I messed something up by what I did with ZA and Windows Update was not recognizing that I already had that... :flowers:

Animal -- I see you have Windows XP Home... Were you asked to install KB892130 this month (i.e. "Update your Windows Update") before the actual updates came up for you?

Here is what I'm pretty sure is exactly what I did:

1. I went to Windows Update with IE. Since I recently did a database reset in ZA 7.0.302 FREE, I kept on eye on Program Control to see what would get added.

2. As the Windows Update page was loading up, WINDOWS EXPLORER was added to the Program Control, with (*I believe*) these settings:
A green check for Access-Trusted, Access-Internet, & Server-Trusted, and a ?-Ask for Server-Internet.

3. Windows Update site came up in IE on the page where you choose if you want to do "Express" or "Custom" updates. *BEFORE* I chose anything, I *CHANGED* the settings for WINDOWS EXPLORER in ZA Program Control to the following:

A green check for Access-Trusted (left as is), a ?-Ask for Access-Internet, and a X-Block for *both* Server-Trusted and Server-Internet

I did this per instructions told to me on the ZA forum that this is the proper/safest setting for Windows Explorer (at least, *I think* that's the settings I changed it to at this point).

*THEN* I clicked the "Custom" button -- the Windows Update site checked my computer, then came back with "To use this latest version of Windows Update, you will need to upgrade some of its components." and prompting me to install Windows Genuine Advantage Validation Tool (KB892130) -- which, as I stated, I already have back from Feb.

Then I totally removed Windows Explorer from Program Control, cleared the cache in IE, went back to Windows Updates, let it do it's thing again to see if Windows Explorer would either come back to Program Control (and I could leave it as is) and/or if that prompt to install KB892130 before I could get any further went away... But it all stayed the same: Explorer did not come back to Program Control and it still wants me to install KB892130 (again) before any Windows Updates come up...

So my *theory* is that by changing the settings for Windows Explorer in Program Control *before* clicking the "Custom" button at Windows Updates to let it check my computer, etc. somehow blocked Windows Update site from using Windows Explorer on my laptop to see that I already have KB892130 and now it wants me to install it again (which I'm afraid will cause issues). I'm also fearful that it won't see all the other updates that I already have from the past five months, etc.

So does that seem possible? Or is my theory just impossible? (Which I'm hoping that's the case and this is normal! But Woodstock not already having that KB# and it asking him to install it and me ALREADY having it and it asking me leads me to at least suspect something is up...)

And if it is possible, what can I do about it to make it right?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 19 June 2007 - 10:20 AM.

#14 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 05:06 PM

Looks like it was a new version of KB892130. I did the Windows Updates with new problems. Thanks.

#15 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:49 PM

i got the same update on all 4 computers and when it came out again i let it install
its an updated version the security patch....

Edited by mme, 20 June 2007 - 06:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users