Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Confirmation: Is It A Hack?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Gear300

Gear300

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:14 PM

I am using DSL, while it does not interfere with the phoneline. What happened was that someone was already talking on the phone and told me to grab it. It was a chordless phone and once I turned it on, it was making the same sound signature that is made when using dial up (somewhere around the same sound signature). I used a wired phone instead and finished talking. I then picked up the chordless phone and did not here the sound signature any more (it was normal) and my internet connection was still on. I already know that some people hack through wireless connections and a phone line picks up the same relative frequency, so is it possible someone tried to hack. I have a firewall and everything but it makes me kind of paranoid (just 2 days ago, my computer lost a lot of data and was found to be infected with tons of Trojans and some spyware---at that moment I was using an unupdated and primitive security suite; right now I have a well-updated one). So, if anyone can tell me...how possible is it that that was a hack.

The question is more along the lines of what is the probability that someone could hack through a telephone line and if so, does it necessarily have to be within the localized region, such as right in front of the apartment/house/where ever else

Edited by Gear300, 17 June 2007 - 11:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 PancakeofMassDeliciousness

PancakeofMassDeliciousness

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:06 AM

Sound's like your cordless phone is screwed up or you just got some bad EM interference.

Wireless network's shouldn't cause interference on your cordless phone and operate on a different frequency and it's virtually impossible to hack into a wireless network through a cordless phone carrier signal, not to mention highly impractical. Cordless phones only transmit when they're off the hook and in use, and even then noone would be able to do anything if it was in use.

Edited by rigel, 19 June 2007 - 07:07 PM.
Removed opening statement ~ rigel

#3 Gear300

Gear300
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:15 PM

I see...well then, thats something. Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users