Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Installation Problems

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 H.Money

H.Money

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:40 PM

Wassup guys,

I just bought a new hard drive for my laptop but wen i take out the old one and replace it with the new, when my computer boots up deres an error message saying Media Test failed along with other things. What am i doing wrong, I thot all you had to do was plug the hard drive in and that was it! If you guys can help me out i'd appreciate it, Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

What make/model laptop?

What make/model hard drive?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 H.Money

H.Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:50 PM

What make/model laptop?

What make/model hard drive?

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100

Western Digital WD800VE 80 GB

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:26 PM

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/ph...amp;p_topview=1

what are the jumpers set for?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 08:24 PM

Have you formatted and partitioned the hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 H.Money

H.Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

I have not formatted or partitioned the hard drive (don't kno how)

and the jumpers aren't set for anything, there was no jumper shunt that came with the HDD and my old one didn't have any jumper shunts on it when i removed it.

Edited by H.Money, 17 June 2007 - 09:56 PM.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:20 PM

You will need to use the CD that has your operating system on it, it will format and partition the hdd and then install the OS.

Edited by dc3, 17 June 2007 - 10:22 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 H.Money

H.Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:31 PM

damn, i dont even have the cd for my operating system i got it from someone and they didn't give me any of that. I guess my best bet would be to format my computer and put another version of windows on it huh? actually i can't even to that because with my new hard drive in I can't do anything. All it tells me is media test failed

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:45 AM

You'll need to download the diagnostic tools from the Western Digital website and use them to see what the issue is with the drive. You can also download the setup program for the hard drive from there also (all are free).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:26 AM

the WD drives w/ no jumper are configured for standalone, other brands are different

sounds like your bios cannot see the drive?

I couldn't find any documentation on that laptop and compatible hard drives?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:11 AM

sounds like your bios cannot see the drive?

Restart your computer, boot into bios. There are different bios systems, so I can't tell you where to look. Just root around and see if it's set to auto detect the drive.
If not, set it to auto. Exit and save the change. Computer will reboot, see what happens.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 18 June 2007 - 09:12 AM.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:47 AM

If this is a new hdd that hasn't been formatted and partitioned it will not be recognized. If you can find a OS CD with the proper product code your computer will boot from it and you will then be able to use that to format, partition, and install the OS. I would suggest that you make two partitions so that you can install the OS on a separate partition from you other files, this way if you ever have a problem and need to reinstall the OS you can do it without having to mess with backing up all of the other files.

You can download the WD Data Lifeguard 11.2 here. This is a zip file so you will need an appropriate software to open it, you can make a CD from this and boot form it to make the installation. You need to make sure that you CD-ROM the first boot device in the boot order.

Edited by dc3, 18 June 2007 - 09:47 AM.

#13 H.Money

H.Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:32 AM

I appreciate all the help but I cant even get into my Bios and after i downloaded the tools from the website and put them on a cd, my laptop didnt even read the cd! I have a Win XP CD but its only an upgrade and i know that as soon as i try and use it it's gonna ask me to insert my original OS disk because it doesn't recognize the one before. So i guess my only bet would be to get a full version of Win XP rite?

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 11:09 AM

How are you trying to enter the BIOS?

#15 H.Money

H.Money
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 05:17 PM

How are you trying to enter the BIOS?

by pressing delete or even pressing F8 to get it to run in safe mode but none work

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users