Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty Registry Keys

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 shelleyl

shelleyl

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:48 AM

I'm using regcure and the scan yields errors in empty registry keys. Why over and over again? what are they? I have XP and SP2. I'm also having trouble (cannot do) with automatic updates.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mme

mme

• Members
  • 400 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:58 AM

what error you get with updates

dont do registry yet

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

Which keys are being regenerated (we'll need the entire location of the key starting with HKey....)? It could be a legitimate program doing this and you'll have to disable that program in order to stop it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 shelleyl

shelleyl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:27 AM

I run Regcure and it shows 90 or so empty registry keys. HOw do I find out which keys these are? thanks. shelley

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

No being familiar with the program, I can't tell you where to find the info - but there's likely to be a description of the keys somewhere in the program. You'll find that quite a lot of them are located in the same/similar places - that's what we're looking for.

FYI - the registry is composed of Hives, each hive has a name that starts with HKey (such as HKey_Current_User or HKey_Local_Machine). The paths to the keys are very similar to the directory structure of your hard drive (but these keys point to info in the registry rather than a location on your hard drive).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:25 PM

Hi shelleyl,

I would strongly suggest that you uninstall Regcure:
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/malware/?Adware.Win32.RegCure

RegCure is a rogue registry cleaning utility that gives false results and shows fixing those results. It shows the poor scan results and false warnings.

As usasma is suggesting, you really need to know exactly what is being suggested to be fixed in the registry. Automatice registry cleaners make educated guesses and it is hard to trust even the best ones to guess right all the time. If you can't trust this one at all you should get rid of it--it will cause you more grief than anything else.

Let's concentrate on what your problems are and how to fix them, instead of running a reg cleaner on the off chance that it will. First step would be to describe the problem with Automatic Updates as mme suggests and anything else that is giving you grief.

It's also possible that Regcure is an infection in itself, but I need to look around some more to be able to determine that better. Have you run your antivirus and other malware scanners, and if so which ones?

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users