Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchasing New O/s

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 sew3663

sew3663

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have discovered the hard way that I can't use the version of XP that came with my Dell on another computer. When I was pricing XP Pro a couple of years ago, it was only about $129 retail... Now with Vista coming out, I assumed that those would hit rock bottom... It is now completely the opposite. I can't find a full version of XP Pro for less than $200 that is a non-upgrade one (and they never tell you what is needed to qualify for an upgrade version)... I wonder why the spike in cost...The development costs were paid off years ago for that O/S...

Anyway, my question is If I shell out the $$ for a full up version of XP, can I use it on my computer and any future/past computer (old computers I buy from friends and use as backup computers, etc)? Or is it like the one bundled with my Dell where the Product Key is computer specific and won't validate on another machine? I ask this because I need an O/S now and don't want to have this unexpected cost every computer I install this O/S on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

If you purchase the full version, you will be able to put it on any computer that is XP compatible, but you will only be able to have it registered with M$ on one computer at a time.

I tried to put XP Pro on a Vista computer that I bought for my ma... and apparently they do not make XP drivers for alot of the newer hardware. I had to wipe the drive and put Vista back on it due to a lack of video drivers.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:12 PM

Look into purchasing extra licenses for the "full" version of XP. It should help to cut the costs of installing the OS on multiple computers. You only have to buy the OS disk once and purchase a license for every PC you install it on (I forget how much it costs but I think its in the range of $50-100USD per license).

Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

Slightly cheaper and free shipping:
Vios software
You can always use Linux
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 sew3663

sew3663
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for the quick responses, everyone!

NEsince92,
How do you switch it from computer to computer? If you install on a new computer, it will tell you "invalid Key", so how do you get it to unhook from the old machine and allow the key to work on the new machine?

Blackspyder,
I haven't found any extra licenses for less than $150, although I just follow the link from the Microsoft XP registration page... What proof do you need of your original version? Can I use my O/S that came with my Dell in order to be the "base" one and get extra licenses to work with that XP CD?

I have a further question. There are OEM, Retail, and "hologram" versions. I assume the OEM is the one that comes with your machine and is tied to the machine, the Retail is the one that we are discussing...and the hologram... I don't know. Am I mistaken? Which one(s) will be the most useful long-term as well as budget-conscious. I was looking to spend under $100 and be able to use it for a future machine that I may put together myself.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:36 PM

OEM: Sold to "computer builders" usually tied in with a small inexpensive part to C.T.A. in case Ms gets picky.
Retail: The regularly Available version from Best Buy, Circuit City, Your local PC store
Holograph: Same as retail I believe

All carry the exact same information. OEM is the way to go really. They aren't tied to any manufacturer unless you get the discs from the manufacturer.

Like the man Said Linux is always an option worth trying. (Come to the O.S.S. side Luke, I am your father. :thumbsup: ) LOL

PS: Sorry my prices are a little out of date.

CTA (Cover Their A_ _ )

Posted Image

#7 NEsince92

NEsince92

• Members
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:57 AM

NEsince92,
How do you switch it from computer to computer? If you install on a new computer, it will tell you "invalid Key", so how do you get it to unhook from the old machine and allow the key to work on the new machine?

The key actually coincides with the CD... so as long as you're using the right key for the right installation, you shouldn't have the 'invalid key' message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users