Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Heatsink On Mother Board

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 atapp21

atapp21

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:31 PM

Hello all,

My sister recently gave me her computer complaining that it constantly would freeze up on her. Today I opened it to do a little internal cleaning. Upon opening it I noticed the heatsink that would normally mount on top of the AMD was totally off. With further inspection I noticed that one of the clip that was used to hold the heat sink element down has fallen off probably due to excessive heat. Now my question is if there is anyway of repairing this clip to keep the heat sink on the chip. What would I need to do this? Or is this just a done computer?

She has a HP Pavilion a810n computer with a 3300 + AMD 64 Athlon chip. Any help would be much appreciated :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:33 PM

No, I wouldn't say your computer is done by any means. All you have to do (if I understood you right and the heatsink is loose on the processor) is buy a new heatsink for this processor or to try and fix the current one. Is the current one fixable or not? If not, you will need to buy a new processor (make sure to apply thermal paste to the processor, some will probably come with the new heatsink.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:40 PM

A new Heatsink for the processor shouldnt cost too much. Heatsink for 939,940,AM2 Processors at Newegg.com.

Do you know what Style Connection your Processor has (939/940/AM2)

Posted Image

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:14 PM

No, I wouldn't say your computer is done by any means. All you have to do (if I understood you right and the heatsink is loose on the processor) is buy a new heatsink for this processor or to try and fix the current one. Is the current one fixable or not? If not, you will need to buy a new processor (make sure to apply thermal paste to the processor, some will probably come with the new heatsink.

Buying a new processor has nothing to do with the retainer clip, if that's what you mean. On certain sockets, they do sell replacement retainer bases. Socket 478's were good for breaking. Surprisingly, Ebay has some had to find ones.
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:32 PM

Yes it does look fixable I just need some instruction on how to put the heat sink back on or replace the broken clip to keep the heat sink on.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#6 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

A new Heatsink for the processor shouldnt cost too much. Heatsink for 939,940,AM2 Processors at Newegg.com.

Do you know what Style Connection your Processor has (939/940/AM2)

No, I don't know what style connection I have. What do I look for to find out?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#7 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:43 PM

Buying a new processor has nothing to do with the retainer clip, if that's what you mean. On certain sockets, they do sell replacement retainer bases. Socket 478's were good for breaking. Surprisingly, Ebay has some had to find ones.
Mark

That's exactly what I mean is that one of the retainer base clips has fallen off. I just want to know how do I go about replacing it. Is there a way for me to upload a picture so I can give a visual of what I mean?
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 03:05 PM

$8.00 + shipping at
Frozen cpu
You will have to remove the mobo. this has a back plate . Here is the specs. for your computer: Pavilion specs.
Mark
Scoll down the page, it's the 6th one socket 754
Don't forget to order some thermal compound also

Edited by garmanma, 17 June 2007 - 03:13 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 05:31 AM

$8.00 + shipping at
Frozen cpu
You will have to remove the mobo. this has a back plate . Here is the specs. for your computer: Pavilion specs.
Mark

It doesn't look the same as the one that fell off but if it will fixed the problem I'm game to buy it and install it. Dude you've been a great help :thumbsup: Thanks again.
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#10 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:04 AM

$8.00 + shipping at
Frozen cpu
Mark

It doesn't look the same as the one that fell off but if it will fixed the problem I'm game to buy it and install it. Dude you've been a great help :thumbsup: Thanks again.

Double check what socket you have. I'm going by what I found on the computer's spec. sheet
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#11 Gnomad

Gnomad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

I would almost have to think if the heatsink had fallen completely off of the processor, and the computer was run for any length of time, then the processor has a very high likelyhood of being damaged by excessive heat.

#12 atapp21

atapp21
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2007 - 10:01 AM

I would almost have to think if the heatsink had fallen completely off of the processor, and the computer was run for any length of time, then the processor has a very high likelyhood of being damaged by excessive heat.

Well I don't know about the damage because I haven't fired up the PC but my sister said that it would work fine, the only thing was after a period of time it would begin to freeze up. I think I'm gonna focus on one thing at a time and get the heat sink and if problems continue then look at those problems as they arise. :thumbsup:
Yours Truly,
Tapdiggity

#13 noHP

noHP

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:23 AM

Replying here many months late but I think this is the same thing that happened to my Mom's computer. She past away a year ago and now only my Dad uses it (mostly for e-mail). He noticed the monitor wouldn't bring up the display anymore a few days ago so called me for help about it. I thought the power supply had failed.
Went over to see it and first thing I saw when I opened the side panel was a small aluminum heatsink sitting on the bottom of the case. A wire runs through the middle and acts as a spring which is supposed to be held onto the mainboard by what looks like circuit jumpers with a hoop on top.
One of those was missing, then found after turning the case over and shaking some.

I was a little surprised to find this message here at bleepingcomputer.com when I searched for anything like this ever happening. Must be a manufacturing defect.

I put super glue onto the clip and pushed it back into the "CLIP2" holes where it had fallen out. Not long afterward I had the heatsink back in place, but before I did that I bent the wire spring to make it have less strain on the clips. No thermal paste available so I just slid the heatsink around on the chip surface hoping the old stuff would be good enough (was enough to be sticky).

Anyway... this wasn't the CPU. I don't know what it was. Any printing on it was covered up by the paste. It's almost in the middle of the board between the CPU (which has a large heatsink and fan attached) and the power supply connector.

I had to disconnect the PSU from the board while unplugged from the wall and reconnect it after plugging the power cord into the wall, otherwise not doing so left the condition of the computer the same as before. Once the power was going in and the mainboard connector (actually two, small and large ones) for the power supply was reconnected I got a green solid light from the back of the PSU and all was okay.

Unfortunately, upon moving the computer back to its place on the desk it happened again, blinking green light and no power up from the front button. So apparently if the power ever goes out this will keep happening, but for now the fix (disconnect/reconnect PSU mainboard wires) is good.

I should add that this computer was always on, never off, because it bothered my parents to need to wake the computer up. Probably very lucky it is okay after not having a heatsink on one of the chips for however long a time it was. Or maybe it just happened recently and that caused a nearly immediate shutdown(?).

Hope this helps anyone with one of these HP's if something goes wrong. :thumbsup: Might be a good idea to look inside them anyhow... but then who is going to know to do that without reading things like this message thread here?? :flowers:

Edited by noHP, 07 April 2009 - 12:32 AM.

#14 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:06 PM

Mark

socket 478 was an intel socket ;) and there is a high chance the CPU could have been damaged by heat, only way to tell though would be to fix the heatsink. You can probably find a new retainer clip for it, but Id be tempted to just purchase a new heatsink if it were me.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users