Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Firewalls?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 GoTwins

GoTwins

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:20 PM

Hello,

Just had a quick question:

So I have Comodo Firewall on my computer, since McAffee's program lagged my computer, and I was looking though my Window's XP Security Center (The place in the control panel that helps your manage computer security) and I looked at my firewall settings and it said my Window's firewall was set to OFF, is that ok? Or should I have it on...thus making it two firewalls going at once, my Comodo and my Window's firewall...

Also was wondering if Comodo was reliable, anyone else use it?

Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:27 PM

You should only have one Firewall, and one Antivirus, running at a time.
Having two running at once, increases the chances of them conflicting with one another, and rendering both, inoperable.

I can't comment on Comodo, as I don't use it.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SpySentinel

SpySentinel

• Members
  • 2,090 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Comodo Firewall Pro is a very good firewall, I use it myself.
Posted Image
Unified Network of Instructors and Trained Eliminators

Posted Image

My help is always free, but if you can, please Posted Image to help me continue the fight against malware.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Comodo is in my opinion the best. It has a learning curve in which it takes a bit for it to learn what you do but then your good. It doesn't leak and it's free forever

Here's the download link and a tutorial link

Comodo
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Comodo Manual
http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/Com..._User_Guide.pdf
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:06 PM

Oops, posted the same time as boopme. Hmm...good info. Yeah I do notice that it takes a while for it to learn programs and such. I find it annoying that it sometimes re-asks me if the program is okay or not, and it gets on my nerves.

Ok, thats what I thought about using two firewalls...doesn't it also lag your computer?

Edited by GoTwins, 16 June 2007 - 08:08 PM.

#6 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:48 AM

When Comodo installs it automatically shuts the Windows firewall off and replaces it. The problem I had with Comodo is it kept turning itself off and saying the only way to fix it was to uninstall and reinstall it. That's going to get old quickly so I ditched it. Unless someone has a solution for this, I'm not bothering with a third party software firewall. Comodo was the only one I liked when it worked.

#7 GoTwins

GoTwins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:13 PM

It's never done that to me. Hopefully it'll stay that way. I've been having problems like that with some other apps lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users