Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Sound

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bibdilly

bibdilly

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:34 PM

Hello. I can not get get any sound at all from my speakers. I am using windows XP and the integrated sound card stopped working ages ago. This was not a problem as the machine was only used for work. I have now installed a sound card, and Device Manager says that the device is working properly, but the sound and Audio Devices says No Audio Device. Prior to installing the new card I disabled the integrated sound card in the BIOS.

I have removed the card and drivers, reinstalled them and had the same result. If I remove and reinstall the drivers without rebooting, then Audio Devices recognises the card but I still get no sound. Yes, I have checked the speakers and the connections. When I reboot Audio Devices reverts to No Audio Device.

Any help in getting me some sound would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 crazynick

crazynick

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

dude ur driver problem

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

What soundcard did you install?

#4 bibdilly

bibdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:17 PM

The Sound card is a Yamaha32. This was taken from another machine where it had been working fine. The other machine was also running Windows XP.

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 08:36 PM

OK this is a dumb question but this actually happened to me once. Is the mute button off/volume turned up? I actually uninstalled all my drivers and all that because I didn't realize I had pressed the mute button...
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

Ryan, not a dumb question. Sometimes we get so caught up in searching for an answer that we sometimes overlook the easiest, most obvious solution.
Another thing-make sure the card is seated firmly in the slot.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:21 PM

Ryan, not a dumb question. Sometimes we get so caught up in searching for an answer that we sometimes overlook the easiest, most obvious solution.
Another thing-make sure the card is seated firmly in the slot.

I remember changing one and I still had it plugged in to the onboard plug. :thumbsup:
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

The first time I installed a new sound card, no sound. I spent 3 hours trying to get sound. Finally, I called a friend and asked his advice. The first thing he asked was "is it firmly seated into the slot?"

I checked, and NO it was not.

Live and learn.

#9 bibdilly

bibdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:40 AM

I checked all connections, including the fitting of the card, before posting. Also volumes are up and no mute buttons ticked. I have a feeling the problem lies within Windows XP. Any suggestions?

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 09:35 AM

Here's something to try.

Time to do some checking.
Start Menu/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices

Audio Tab-make sure your sound device is listed as the default.
Then under sound playback, click Volume.

Play Control will open up, where you will see several panels.
In the Play Control Panel, click on Advanced.

If 1 Digital Output is checked, uncheck it.

If it's unchecked, check it.

If you don't see Advanced in the Play Control Panel, click on Options/Advanced Controls.
Put a checkmark by everything you see listed, then look again.

After you do this, see if you have sound.

#11 bibdilly

bibdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:49 AM

Thank you for replying.

In the audio tab all the boxes say No Audio Device therefore the buttons are disabled, so could not carry out your suggestion. Device manager continues to say that the device is working properly.

I have now deleted the drivers, removed the Soundcard and installed a brand new card in a different pci socket and am getting exactly the same problem: Device Manager says it's working properly, Sounds and Audio Devices says No Audio Device, and of course I am getting no sound.

Edited by bibdilly, 17 June 2007 - 11:50 AM.

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:10 PM

Just a thought. Are you using any other pci slots for anything else? What I'm getting at is your pci might be disabled in the BIOS? What's the specs. on the new card? You might also try: Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services and see if Windows Audio Service is enabled and running
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 17 June 2007 - 04:26 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#13 bibdilly

bibdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:23 PM

Thanks Mark. the pci are enabled in the BIOS I am running a PCI (not express) graphics card and a pci Network adapter. Audio Service is enabled and running.

I have now removed deivers and card yet again and am in the process of reinstalling Windows XP. I will then replace card and drivers and see what happens. Thank you for all help so far. I'll keep you posted.

#14 bibdilly

bibdilly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 12:40 PM

I have reinstalled Windws XP, then refitted the card and installed the drivers and the problem is still there. i.e. it says 'No Audio Device' in Sounds and Alerts and 'Device is Working Properly' in Device Manager.

There are exclamation marks against Microsoft Kernal Echo Canceller and Microsoft Kernal Audio Splitter. Device status for these says: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

These were not there before I installed to card.

#15 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 03:09 PM

Some good reading here: M$ Another thing you could try is to download Winamp basic and see if it will work
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users