Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recompiling The Kernel

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Alchemist

Alchemist

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

When is it worth it? I asked for some help on a Linux support IRC channel and almost got laughed off the channel. Is the benefit really that small? Surely using the MMX or 3DNow instructions if your CPU supports them makes a big difference? Especially on older/slower machines?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rever

rever

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 02 July 2007 - 04:04 PM

You should really never need to recompile your kernel. Most distros have what is called a modular kernel. That means almost everything is build as modules and not built into the kernel. Also most distros are compile kernels as i686 now. The only time you may really want to compile your kerenl is if you want a specific kernel with all your specified hardware modules built into the kernel. However, you will not see any speed gains on this. I use to be a big Gentoo fan and compiled everything from source thinking that would make my system faster and more stable. All it did was make me wait longer for installations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users