Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 05:24 AM

i'm a bit confused (yeah, i know..what else is new?)

i can't view any videos. i've updated to media player 10..didn't help. i've been told it's got to do with my video card..great..that's greek to me. where do i find this..how do i check it...etc???

as usual...HELP!!!

and i'm SURE this doesn't belong here, but i hate to flood the boards..and i've looked around, but haven't found what i'm looking for...should i dl this new msn beta anti-virus program???

thanx, guys...you KNOW i love ya! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:36 AM

Just to eliminate the obvious, are the file extensions WMP type? Are you saving the videos to your hard drive and then viewing them? Did you check the size of the video you are trying to view?

The other question is, I think, more a matter of opinion than anything else, and I will give you mine. Beta programs are just that, ready for public testing, but not absolutely a finished product. There are differing opinions about the product, so until the verdict is in, I would seriously adise you to continue using whatever application you have now, or using one of the more well-know AVs. Until MS is willing to provide prompt updates to the virus definitions, I would hesitate to use it.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Underwhelmed

Underwhelmed

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:41 AM

Well, if you can view your screen, then it's probably not your video card. It has to do with the way that WMP 10 decodes the video.

If you can post how you're trying to view your videos, we can see if it's WMP or the codecs.
Tacos. That is all you ever need know.

My Development Blog

#4 HuckerJ

HuckerJ

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 12:29 PM

You could try using VLC. It comes with its own codecs so you don't have to worry about not having them and it will play almost anything.

Edited by HuckerJ, 21 January 2005 - 12:30 PM.

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary notation, and those who do not.
Posted Image - It plays, it streams, it kills WiMPs!!

#5 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:50 PM

we have tried DivX, as well as realplayer and quicktime. it doesn't matter WHAT the application OR size is..i get a fuzzy screen that looks like an undeveloped film (are any of you OLD enough to remember that???). it also doesn't matter if i visit a site, get it in my email, or dl it to my hard drive. my son describes it as..."it looks like a rainbow raped the screen"....the colors ARE bright....lol

it's VERY frustrating. :thumbsup:

#6 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 08:57 PM

ok, i found an update at the site for my video card..said something about reading videos with an "S2" chip..did the dl for windows xp. i still can't see videos to save my life. doesn't matter if they come attached to email (yes, i'm careful..lol)..or whether i open them into a temp file or save it first to my hd. the sound is perfect...just can't see the video!

thanx! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users