Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Spyware/adware From A Crack Site. It Just Wont Leave!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zach Al

Zach Al

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:34 PM

Hello all i am new here. I recently visited a crack site for software (stupid and a bad decision, i know) and after trying to get a code, i got attacked and shot up with spyware and adware. I managed to remove most of it with a trio of software: ad-aware, windows defender, and avast! antivirus. I ran the software explorer in defender and removed some suspicious, actually fairly obvious startup keys and processes. One of them was called smmgr.exe. I also had a firewall alert every few minutes that was just 6 or 7 meaningless numbers; however, the numbers did increase every alert. I still get intermittent IE startups that go to a random page. I know this is adware becuase i dont even use IE, just firefox

I am running Win XP Pro SP2 32-bit, with Zone Alarm as my firewall, Avast! antivirus, and Windows defender as my continuous spyware prodtection (although avast does a great job of this). As i said above, i use Firefox for ALL my browsing, and still got hit. I just need to mop up the remnants of this junk so i dont have to continuously close random and useless IE windows.

I can post a Hijackthis log if needed.

To err is human, to really screw up you need a computer.

Core 2 E4400 @ 2.0 GHz; 3 GB DDR2-800; Gigabyte P35-DS3L; nVidia 7300 GT; 640 GB WD Caviar Black; Ubuntu 9.04 x64 & Windows 7 x64

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,754 posts
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum. NOT IN this forum. The instructions are in the link below.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 PancakeofMassDeliciousness

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 10:41 AM

I have the Exact same problem

Go here, new thread, more detail

Edited by PancakeofMassDeliciousness, 18 June 2007 - 10:42 AM.

#4 rigel

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 19 June 2007 - 07:34 AM

Since you now have an open HJT log, please follow only the advice of the HJT team member helping you.

You are in very good hands!

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users