Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Itunes

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 10:34 AM

Hey guys,

I have had a search here in the forums but didnt really find anything that covers my "thaughts".
Due to Coke / McDonalds having promo's lately I installed Itunes and downloaded music free of charge. Now I do realise they have some good offers and they even now are in the media for selling drm free media. However:
  • abt the drm free stuff has been some discussions about "fingerprints" left behind anyway
  • my other music is mp3
  • I cannot recall reading exactly what the policy is about copying songs / moving to different pc's (number of times)
Mhhm I think there was something else I cannot recall now, but lol I d appreciate your comments.

I am just not sure wether or not to use it other than for the free music I can currently get on regular basis.

Cheers,

YoHi

"How did I get infected?" - "Safe-hex" - Member of UNITE -
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:23 PM

Start here:

DRM-Free Music on the iTunes Store

Open Itunes & look under iTunes Help > Index > Authorizing > Display & that will show you all of the information for your third question.

IMO iTunes is very good but can be a little tedious to master at times. If you are using an I-Pod & are willing to learn, then yeah, that would be the ideal situation. It's not impossible to figure out, it just takes some getting used to. As mentioned above, the Help section contains plenty of useful information. To burn mp3's to Cd, I usually use Nero Express. It can be done with iTunes, it's just easier for me to keep up with how many songs can fit on the disc.

I am just not sure whether or not to use it other than for the free music I can currently get on regular basis.

That depends on your situation: where you get your music, if your'e burning to cd or using an mp3 player, listening to podcasts,etc... Usually, except for the promo you mentioned, you have to pay for songs you get through iTunes, so ultimately the final decision on this will be yours. Hope this helps some. I'm sure others will come along with their suggestions as well.

Edited by hillbillygreek, 16 June 2007 - 03:32 PM.

#3 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:47 AM

Hi hillbillygreeek,

I cannot recall reading exactly what the policy is about copying songs / moving to different pc's (number of times)

Oke, after a bit of fidling around (my iTunes is in German :thumbsup: ), I have found that you are allowed to have your music on 5 activated PCs.

I do not own an iPod and dont plan to buy one. I have plenty of MP3s collected over the years, as I shifted countries a few times and carrying a few CDRs (yea back those days lol) was easier than taking tons of CDs with you when your luggage is limited to 20 KGs Posted Image.
However I berely listen to them on the way to anywhere as I seem to always forget the silly headphones :flowers: . I guess hence it would not be too much of a hazzle then that iTunes uses some other file format.

The reason why I was picking iTunes in consideration, is that it is up to Eur 0,30 cheaper than other online music-selling services. Adding that up to an Album, that is a bit of a difference afterall. Appreciate your feedback. Now off to read that DRM link you gave me.

Cheers,

YoHi

- edit - Oh and the fact that one gets limited to copying songs 5 times and only to activated PCs is sort of a limitation of freedom, which so far has also left me staying away from buying such. May be I am just old fashioned, but I just feel that if I pay for the music, why cant I do what I want with it and as often as I want with it? As long as I dont reproduce it and sell it, I dont see why for personal use there needs to be such limitations. just MHO.

- edit 2 - Here s two articles that I meant about the DRM free music problem I was concerned with: CNN & Times online

Edited by Yourhighness, 17 June 2007 - 02:58 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Yourhighness

Yourhighness

The BSG Malware Fighter

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,943 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2008 - 05:46 AM

Mhhm, although not entirely related - heise.de has just covered this: "DoubleTwist Desktop." Further readings here and here.

I like the idea that you do not have DRM anymore and also are able to kind of play it platform independent. There certainly is nothing more annoying than copying something on a usb stick working fine on your pc and when you get somewhere else it doesnt :thumbsup:.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users