Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Things Are Not Showing Up In Add/remove

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_JC_*

Guest_JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:40 AM

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=confusedhi6.jpg <--- Screenshot

For some reason, things don't show up in the add/remove part of the computer, but when I go to the Program Files, everything is there!

It also doesn't show my 80+ Windows Updates..

Please help....

It's kind of like this guy's ---> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96140/all-the-programs-in-my-addremove-programs-list-are-gone/

Edited by JC, 16 June 2007 - 09:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_JC_*

Guest_JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:44 AM

http://img409.imageshack.us/my.php?image=confusedhi6.jpg <--- Screenshot

For some reason, things don't show up in the add/remove part of the computer, but when I go to the Program Files, everything is there!

It also doesn't show my 80+ Windows Updates..

Please help....

It's kind of like this guy's ---> http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/96140/all-the-programs-in-my-addremove-programs-list-are-gone/

"tg1911
Forum Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 363

Try this:
Start / Run / and type; cmd / OK
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl (Note the space between 32, and appwiz)
Click the Enter key.
When finished, type; exit.
Click the Enter key.
Reboot and see if it works now."

I am trying this, and going to see if it works, be back soon.

#3 Guest_JC_*

Guest_JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 09:50 AM

I am back, and when the computer booted up, it said that it needed some setup.exe?

If it happens again I'll keep you informed.

And the Add/Remove Programs didn't change.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Have you tried a System Restore, to a date before the problem occurred?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 Guest_JC_*

Guest_JC_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 03:43 PM

Have you tried a System Restore, to a date before the problem occurred?

Just attempted to, it took a LONG time, and it was after a lot of stuff was installed. So it didn't help.

So I just brought it back.

O_< Any other help;?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:20 PM

Looking around on the web, here are a few related solutions. Also, a lot of the time this is caused by a bad uninstall. If you have any idea which program could be the problem, it would be worth it to do a search for any leftover files.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scroll down to bottom of the list and see if they are there. There is a VERY large space after only a few progrms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

agree with the advise to check your registry settings (and be careful!! backup your registry before making any changes) I had this problem after installing autocad lite on my xp system. Almost all of the program names were missing on the uninstall panel -- it just showed a few programs. If I uninstalled autocad the problem would go away - but each time I reinstalled the autocad it came back. Since I needed autocad & I needed all of the program names I had to find a fix -- I looked at the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall - found autocad -- compared each of the entries to other sets that I know were valid (ie, symantec, ). In my case the DisplayIcon value seemed suspicious - and I could work without that uninstall icon so I removed the value for that registry key and IT FIXED THE PROBLEM!!

The Add/Remove control panel applet remove tab builds its list by searching HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall for any entries with a DisplayName value. There is a bug which causes entries with a text string of >64 characters to be ignored so you may want to check the DisplayName values and shorten where appropriate.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...ams-option.html
(COPIED FROM LINK ABOVE)
I see this is coming in a little late but maybe it can help someone else with the missing add-remove programs problem. I had the same problem after a bad install or something. I was working on another problem with Microsoft and they inadvertently swerved into fixing this proble also. Here is what was done. The add remove programs showed up again at the bottom of the Control Panel list. I sorted by name to put it back near the top of my classic view list. Here you go-
Before we start troubleshooting, I would like to explain that Windows updates are safe and effective in most situations. Based on the troubleshooting results, the issue can be caused by the following factors.

1. Third party program conflicts.

2. Some corrupt system files or registry keys.

We may need some time to narrow down the root cause of this issue. Thank you for your understanding.

To continue troubleshooting, let's perform the following steps.

Step 1: Re-registry the library files in Internet Explorer

==============================

1. Close all instances of Internet Explorer.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type in "regsvr32 URLMON.dll" (without the quotation marks), and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer and DllInstall in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

Please repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

regsvr32 URLMON.dll

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll

regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll

regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll

regsvr32 Browseui.dll

regsvr32 Shell32.dll

regsvr32 scrrun.dll

regsvr32 msxml.dll

regsvr32 mshtml.dll

regsvr32 jscript.dll

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Step 2: Reset Internet Explorer (IE) Settings

=========================

1. Click Start, click Run, type Notepad.exe, and then click OK.

2. Copy and Paste the following context between "------------" lines to the boot.ini file:

Note: Not include "-----------" lines.

-------------------

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}]

@="ClassMoniker"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\InprocServer32]

@="ole32.dll"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProgID]

@="clsid"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\CLSID]

@="{0000031A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}"

------------------------------

3. Click File, and then click Save.

4. In the Save in box, click Desktop.

5. In the File name box, type fix01.reg.

6. In the Save as type box, click All Files, and then click Save.

7. Click File, and then click Exit.

8. On the desktop, double-click fix01.reg, and then click Yes to add the information to the registry.

9. Click OK to confirm that the information in the fix01.reg file has been added to the registry.

10. Restart the computer.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:32 PM

I recently had some experience with this. I had to do a clean install of XP. While I was uninstalling all of the junk that gets installed with Windows, I noticed that none of the programs I had installed on my other drive were on the list; most of those programs didn't work correctly, either. The cause of the problem was obvious - when I re-installed XP, none of those programs existed in the registry any more. I found that simply re-installing the programs in question cleared up the problem. Also, since the programs on the F: drive were no longer in the system registry, I was able to simply delete the folders for some I really didn't need any more, but had been too lazy to uninstall. :thumbsup:

Now this is the experience I had with two drives installed. It may not bee such a good idea with a single drive system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users