Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wifi Pci Or Usb

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 vomog1

vomog1

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:17 AM

Hi all
Not sure if this is the correct site, but here goes; I will shortly be going ADSL with a Wifi system. Unfortunately, I must get my own Wifi adaptor for the PC. Can someone tell me if I am better off with A PCI card or USB adaptor.
Cheers Vomog

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:38 PM

PCI is usually faster than USB.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:53 AM

I have a USB and it's okay. Not great, but okay.

I'd recommend going with PCI, but if you go with USB, then for the love of all that is good and holy in the world, don't buy a Netgear!!!

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 18 June 2007 - 02:54 AM.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:44 AM

We;come to BleepingComputer, vomog1.
I would have to also say PCI went ever possible. I am not a big fan of USB. I find is some cases USB not to be very reliable. Enough so that I avoid it like the plague when every I can.
If you need to boot into Safe Mode with Networking you may find that the USB drivers will not install, limiting an option in an emergency.
I think you will find in the long run the few dollars (about $10 USD) that you will save with USB over PCI will not be worth it.
Belkin makes a very nice card that runs from $40 to $50 at Walmart. I have installed 26 of these cards in the last 18 months without any conflicts or defects.

Belkin 802.11g 54Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 03:47 PM

pci > usb in most aspects.

Make sure if you want things like packet injection plan out what you want first, before buying instead of hoping for support for it.

Posted Image

#6 vomog1

vomog1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 02 July 2007 - 07:53 AM

Thanks all for your input. My PC crashed couple of weeks ago and I had to install from scratch. Being an idiot I forgot to backup.
Cheers Vomog

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users