Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Does Not Recognize Video Card

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jbone80

Jbone80

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:34 PM

Ok heres the problem, I recently put in a old video card on my computer (a NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX/MX 400), and downloaded the lastest drivers from thier website. It runs perfect for everything I want it to do. However Windows thinks that the drivers are not installed yet and the New Hardware Wizard pops up each time I turn on the computer, how could I get windows to recognize the drivers? Would it be a reinstall of them? Or is there a way to disable the Hardware wizard on boot up? Thanks in advance.

P.S. The driver version is 93.71 if that helps any.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:57 PM

I would reinstall the driver through the Device manager.

Right click MY Computer
Select Properties
Click the HARDWARE tab
Select Device manager
Right click your Video card under DISPLAY ADAPTERS
click Uninstall
Reboot your computer
Run the setup for your Vid card
Reboot again

Whenever the wizard pops open hit cancel. Post results here.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Jbone80

Jbone80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:09 AM

I uninstalled it via device manager, rebooted and installed the drivers which i downloaded off the nvidia website then rebooted again, yet the New Hardware Wizard pops up again. Could it be a compatibality issue? everything works fine its just annoying to have it pop up.... I did not use the wizard as it did not detect the .exe file to run the driver install i downloaded

#4 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:03 AM

I had a similar problem installing an older card to run a 2nd monitor.
I had to turn off the computer, take the card out again, then reboot and install the drivers. Turn computer off again, replace the card and reboot then it found the drivers.
This might be worth trying, it worked for me. I don't know why!
Observe all the usual precautions when playing in the inside of computer. Good luck!
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 16 June 2007 - 04:04 PM

If you are upgrading from onboard video I would reccomend disabling it in the BIOS before installing the new card.. And if your upgrading from onboard video is the Hardware wizard dectecting the NVida card or is it trying to re-install the old video drivers?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 Jbone80

Jbone80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:29 PM

I tried uninstalling everything including the actual card then reinstalling them, it did not help, and in the BIOS it is already set to boot from the PCI slot and not the onboard graphics option. A friend told me about running Direct X Diagnostic tool(start>run> dxdiag) and the date and version are incorrect so I am thinking that may be the problem but how do I fix it? oh, and the Hardware wizard just detects the card and tries to install generic drivers(and fails)

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 05:39 PM

If your directX drivers are not up to date you can update them Here for DX 9
Or Here for DX10.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#8 Jbone80

Jbone80
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 11:08 PM

Honestly I don't know how I fixed it, but it must have been doing one of those things. The Add New Hardware Wizard dosen't pop up anymore, Thanks for the help everyone

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users