Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All The Programs In My Add/remove Programs List Are Gone!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fire adept

fire adept

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:05 PM

my mom tells me she was uninstalling yahoo and she followedw the prompt to restart the computer. She then went back to install it again (she thinks when the website is having problems she needs to uninstall and install it again....)and it wouldn't work because the site is having difficulties. So she goes back to the program list and all it has is
Adobe Album Photoshop 2.0 Starter Edition
Adobe Reader 6.0.1
Freetar
Google Toolbar for IE
HpSdpAppCoreApp
iTunes
Java SE Runtime Enviroment SE v1.4.2_03
Java SE Runtime Enviroment 6 Update 1
Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1
Microsoft Plus! Digital Media Edition
Microsoft Visual J# .NET Redistributable Package 1.1
Microsoft Works 7.0
Quicktime
WebFldrs XP

I have no idea what could have caused it besides the yahoo stuff but I don't see why that would delete most of the programs from the list... help is appreciated!
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy III (DS), Guitar Hero II (XBOX 360), Frets on Fire (PC)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:18 PM

Try this:
Start / Run / and type; cmd / OK
At the command prompt type: regsvr32 appwiz.cpl (Note the space between 32, and appwiz)
Click the Enter key.
When finished, type; exit.
Click the Enter key.
Reboot and see if it works now.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 fire adept

fire adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:27 PM

That didn't change anything on the Add/Remove Programs list...
Currently Playing: Final Fantasy III (DS), Guitar Hero II (XBOX 360), Frets on Fire (PC)

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:36 PM

If you know the date the Add/remove list was corrupted, you could do a system restore to the day before.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 fire adept

fire adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Is there anything else I could do before I resort to a system restore?

#6 fire adept

fire adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:33 PM

Anybody?

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

More than likely an improper uninstall caused the problem. You could do a search for files of the program. You could attempt a reinstall/uninstall of yahoo. I have googled the problem and solutions require editing the registry which is essentially one of the functions of system restore. If it was Yahoo toolbar that was uninstalled there may have been an addon to the toolbar that was not shut down before the uninstall that caused the problem. I Don't use Yahoo so I am not familiar with the addons such as IM and such.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#8 fire adept

fire adept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

I restored it to yesterday and all the programs are back! Thanks for the help!

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,301 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:10 PM

YAHOOOO!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users