Before we start, you need to realize that you are missing one important program on that computer: An antivirus. This is somewhat suicidal in today's digital world
You need to install an antivirus program
as soon as you can and run a complete scan
of the computer.
I recommend you download the free Avast
orAVG antivirus Never install more than one antivirus scanner or firewall on your system! Several together can give you problems and decrease the reliability of it seriously! Your Java is out of date.
Older versions have vulnerabilities that malware can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update. Updating Java:
- Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1.
- Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6u1".
- Click the "Download" button to the right.
- Check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement".
- The page will refresh.
- Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation, Multi-language jre-6-windows-i586.exe and save to your desktop.
- Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
- Go to Start > Control Panel double-click on Add/Remove programs and remove all older versions of Java.
Examples of older versions in Add or Remove Programs:
Java 2 Runtime Environment, SE v1.4.2
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0
J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 6
- Check any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
- Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
- Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
- Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u1-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.
You need to put HijackThis into its own folder, but not
a temp folder.
It won't save the backups if it is run from a temporary folder, and we will be deleting the temp folder.
Here is how to make a Hijackthis folder:
Click My Computer
, then C:\
In the menu bar, File->New->Folder.
That will create a folder named New Folder
, which you can rename to "HJT"
. Now you have C:\HJT\ folder.
Put your hijackthis.exe
im having a msn virus/spyware atm where it lags for few seconds then starts spreadin the virus to everyone
How do you know you have a msn virus
Is one of you antispyware programs finding it? If so, does it give a location?
Post a fresh Hijackthis log after you run the antivirus program, and tell me about the problem you are having.
Edited by SifuMike, 19 June 2007 - 11:31 PM.