Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Battery Light

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:32 PM

My company has an old Dell Latitude c840 laptop where the battery light keeps flashing, regardless of the fact that within the Power Options/PowerMeter Tab, it says that the battery is 100% charged.

It is interesting however that there are two battery icons present, #1 and #2. Usually, on other laptops, the battery that is charged is #1, but for this laptop, it is #2.

Does this have anything to do with it, and if so, how do I change the settings to use the charged #2 battery?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 02:34 PM

So, the laptop is not working because it's drawing power from the wrong battery? This is a PROBLEM right?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

So, the laptop is not working because it's drawing power from the wrong battery? This is a PROBLEM right?

It's a legitimate question. Perhaps you misinterpreted it when reading it, as the original poster mentions nothing about the laptop not working-the questions are about settings regarding the power supply. :flowers:

SysTech Guy, I believe that there's an option to shut off the battery indicators/warnings. Perhaps it's in the control panel......? I'm no pro when it comes to a laptop (sorry!). However, if you can't find it, please post back saying so and let us know and we'll get this solved for you! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

To be more specific I am running a Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop and the battery light under the LCD screen, above the keyboard, is flashing orange....which to me means a low battery charge (or maybe the battery is just bad).

When I go to Control Panel / Power Options / Click on the "Power Meter" Tab I see that battery #2 is fully charged at 100% while battery #1 is "Not Present".

It has been my experience, what experience that I have, that when a laptop has one battery, as this one does, the battery reading 100% would often be battery #1 and battery #2 would read "Not Present"

I do not know if this the reason for the flashing orange light for the aparantly fully charged battery, but I thought I would mention it since to me it was an anomaly.

I went to Control Panel / Power Options and poked around and I could not find anything other than the ability to adjust the Alarm when the battery is low.

I am beginning to suspect that the battery is going bad, just not sure why it is reading at 100% and all indications other that the aforementioned flashing light, everything seems fine.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 AM

Posted 17 June 2007 - 04:25 PM

How long does it take for the battery to lose it's charge when in use (without the AC adapter plugged in)? That is a good indicator of the status of your battery.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users