Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg As

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:09 AM

I know that questions like this get constantly asked here, so I decided to ask one of my own.

Is AVG's anti-spyware program a real-time program, or is it a trial that eventually expires?

The reason I ask is because my SpySweeper subscription is about to expire in a couple of months. I haven't had any problems with SS, but I'm beginning to consider, "Why pay one company for something another company offers for free?".

Also, please feel welcome to name any other viable free alternatives other than AVG, if there are any.

Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:17 AM

The freeware version of AVG AS does not have real-time protection. The paid for version does.

However, you can get free real-time protection with Spybot and Spyware Blaster.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

You have a 30-day free trail of AVG's A-S real time protection, after which you have the option to subscribe for a modest price.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:05 PM

Thank you for the tips. I think that I will just stay with SS, as they are offering me special "re"-subscription rates that I don't think can be beat. As for Spybot and Spyware Blaster, all they really do is block predetermined lists of sites. They do not monitor such things as startup items, memory, etc. However, if I am mistaken about this, please advise me, and I will have to take a harder look at these offerings.

EDIT: I use Spybot for the sole purpose of locking Internet Options from being opened from within IE. I don't know if that helps any, but I figure, what the heck, it can't hurt. (I don't even use IE; I use FF with the "IE tab" extension, when necessary.)

Edited by rlprlp, 15 June 2007 - 08:11 PM.

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2007 - 07:52 AM

Well, now, how about Super Antispyware? Am I understanding their offer correctly? If I pay $30 for the program, I can then pay an additional $10, and receive free upgrades for life, without ever having to pay a renewal fee? Is that the way others here are understanding their offer?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users