Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cann't See Pictures On Cd

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Falu

Falu

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:05 AM

Hi,

I received a cd from a friend with pictures on it. If I insert the CD into my labtop and go to Control Panel > D-drive (DVD-Ram reader) I get an error: DLA cann't use this disk since it's not formatted.

FYI: No problems putting in a music cd in or a dvd; system works fine!

Of course I don't want to do that. Googled for info but ran into a lot of very technical information which confuses me even more.

Would appreciate any advice/help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:25 AM

It might be that your friend burned the CD as a multi–session CD and didn't close the session.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:58 AM

Hi Budapest, :flowers:

Thanks for the quick response. I don't think that's the problem since: another friend could open the pictures. Furthermore it's the second time I ran into this problem, with another CD with pictures of course.

:thumbsup:

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

Can you see the CD drive from your computer (Windows explorer)? Does the CD drive see the disc when you put it in? What program are you trying to open them in?

Sorry for all the questions! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 09:38 AM

Hi stevealmighty, :flowers:

Thanks for your response. Looking at your reputation here I expect that you may be able to help me out; otherwise I am probably lost.

Can you see the CD drive from your computer (Windows explorer)?

I see my C en D-drive (DVD-RAM reader). Opening D I get the error message from my original post.

Does the CD drive see the disc when you put it in?

Yes because my colmputer wants to format the disk but I thing the real answer is no since I don't see a list with pictures.

What program are you trying to open them in?

1. Jasc Paintshop Pro 7.04
2. Adobe hotoshop Album Sorter Edition 3.0

Sorry for all the questions!

No problem, appreciate your help. :thumbsup:

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 11:45 AM

Thanks for your response. Looking at your reputation here I expect that you may be able to help me out; otherwise I am probably lost.

No pressure there huh! :flowers: LOL!

The first thing I would do would be to uninstall the CD drive then reinstall it (let windows reinstall it, as it should be plug n play compatible). Try to read the CD now. Hopefully your CD drive is just being termpermental and uninstalling it and reinstalling it will remind it what it's supossed to do.

Is the CD a CDRW? If so, then I'd try burning the images again on a CD-R (not RW). For some reason, and I've seen it on many different computers, some drives just don't like certain CDRW's, and even if they like them, they might not like the program that was used to burn it. We have 4 identical computers at work, and only 2 of them will read a CDRW! :trumpet: Now, if it is a CDRW, was the session "finalized" when it was done, or was it left open so that more information could be put on it? If it was left open, then you're drive will want to reformat it because it won't see the info on there yet, as it's still "open" (for lack of a better term).

If CDRW's is all you have, you could try burning another one and just ensure that the session is closed (so that no more info can be put on CDRW), and try that.

Try this stuff, and let us know how you make out and we'll go from there! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:00 PM

Isn't it possible (although VERY unlikely) that the files are license protected and the burner drive won't read them because it's an illegal copy like the XBox only takes original music CD's?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:03 PM

Yes, that would be very unlikely. When a company or photographer copyright protects an image, it usually consits of still being able to view the image, but not being able to save or copy it to anyplace.
Posted Image

#9 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 07:54 AM

Hi stevealmighty, :flowers:

No pressure there huh!

No pressure.

The first thing I would do would be to uninstall the CD drive

To be sure. You want me to go to the Device manager and uninstall the CD Drive there?

When I go to the Device manager I can click CD-ROM/DVD-ROM reader > MATSJITA DVD-RAM UJ-8415. (the software will not allow me to put an H where it says a J now) That's the one??

then reinstall it (let windows reinstall it, as it should be plug n play compatible).

That means I reboot the computer?? Do anything else??

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 10:29 AM

Yep, go into device manager and right click on the CD/DVD drive and click uninstall. Restart your computer, then windows should say "new hardware found" and install the CD/DVD drive automatically (you shouldn't need to click anything!).

Give it a whirl and let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 06:01 PM

Sounds a lot like my problems with my Toshiba. Try opening My Computer, right clicking on the drive and selecting "Properties", then click on the Record/Recording tab. There should be a check mark there about CD recording - remove it and click OK, then test to see if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:53 AM

Hi, :trumpet:

Tried both ways but got the error: D:\ is not accessible Incorrect function (something like that since I translate it from French). :flowers:

Any more suggestions?

PS It's a Toshiba allright. :thumbsup:

Edited by Falu, 18 June 2007 - 04:54 AM.

#13 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:41 AM

Can you recognize other CD's in that drive? Also, what is the model drive so I can research it?
Posted Image

#14 Falu

Falu
  • Topic Starter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,001 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 09:01 AM

Hi stevealmighty, :thumbsup:

I can play audio cd's and view DVD. The CD with pictures on it I cann't read and I have two actually now that I cann't read.

D:\CD-ROM/DVD-ROM reader > MATSJITA DVD-RAM UJ-8415. (the software will not allow me to put an H where it says a J now)

Thanks.

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

By chance do you have a cleaner?

Also, what region is your drive set to? And, what region was the drive the CD's were burned in set to? Oddly enough, I've seen where this can make a difference.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users