Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows explorer causes illegal operation error

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 1timcarter

1timcarter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 20 January 2005 - 09:34 PM

Windows Explorer problem:

You have all helped me solve some problems on my computer. Thanks. Now it's time to work on some of the less critical problems. I'll start with the most irritating one first.

Using AMD processor, WIN98, Internet Explorer 6.0 (the problem is with WINDOWS explorer, but may be related to iexplorer). I have and regularly use adaware, spybot, and spywareblaster. I have tried reinstalling explorer.

Windows explorer doesn't hardly work. It starts fine, and I can expand directories by clicking on the + , but as soon as I click on a folder or file it causes an "illegal operation" error. When I click on the close button (for the error message), I get an "error has occurred" message BUT it refers to INTERNET EXPLORER! The second message doesn't come up until I close the first one, but here are both messages:

Posted Image

Not always, but often, when I close the message, the icons on my desktop, and the icons on my personal toolbar all reload (they blank, then reappear). Sometimes it even causes some of the programs in the SYSTRAY to close. Notably the sony abcd software, and the Lexmark printer, and the Norton AV. Also, sometimes the icons on my desktop get changed. A common one is for several of the programs or shortcuts to have the icon changed to either the "e" for explorer, or the icon for acrobat reader. This is random though, and only happens less than 20% of the times that the icons reset. When the wrong icons show up, it is not consistent what they will be. When the computer is restarted, everthing comes back to normal, but using the windows explorer again will always create those error messages.

Other applications that I think use explorer seem to work fine. Programs such as wordpad, when you try to open a file gives an "explorer like" screen to select the file. I'm not sure if it actually uses explorer in the process, but it works fine. If I use "my computer" to do file operations, it causes the errors also. On some of the programs that have an "explorer like" menu for opening or saving files, it will cause the same icon resetting, but does not cause the error messages or shutdown of the program. On my desktop I have a few folders. Some of them work fine, but some of them cause the same problems if I go into them and select an item or another folder within them. I haven't found anything consistent about that though.

Thanks for any help.

Tim
Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 01:24 PM

The error you are getting is Explorer.exe which, in effect, is Windows itself. This is a very basic OS error that could have many sources.

I see you have an AMD CPU, do you know which one? Can you provide some info on your computer such as MB, RAM etc. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and post back whatever is listed in the Close Program Dialogue box also.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 02:32 PM

I see you have an AMD CPU, do you know which one? Can you provide some info on your computer such as MB, RAM etc. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del and post back whatever is listed in the Close Program Dialogue box also.

Computer is a Soyo Dragon .. SY-K7V with AMD Athlon 1G processor clocked to 1.33. 512 MB Ram and here is a pic of the items running:
Posted Image

Hope this helps.

I also notice that my system resources get eaten up rather rapidly. Starting with 68% available, each browser I open eats up about 10% 4 browsers open and a couple other programs and it starts to have big trouble. I have to close everything and start over before the resource are freed up.

I also tried a solution I found in the MS knowledge base. Restored several files from original windows. It really messed things up, so I had to restore most of the old files. Windows Explorer was restored using sfc, but no help.

Thanks for any advice.

Tim
Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 06:21 PM

Windows Explorer was restored using sfc

Unsure what you mean, please explain.

I think you are confusing Explorers. Windows Explorer is an application within Windows. Explorer IS Windows. At least its the core application.

Reboot. Before you open any applications, right click My Computer and select Properties. Select the Performance Tab. What are your System Resources?

You seem to have a boatload of running Processes eating up your resources. Go to Start>Run type msconfig and click Ok. Under the Start Up tab uncheck anything that is unneeded, which is everything in that list except:

Explorer
Stimon, used for webcams (does that need to be on all the time?)
ptsnoop (used for dialup connections, turn off if you are on broadband)

Is everything in the list visible in your screenshot?

After you uncheck those items reboot and look at system resources again. Give us both numbers, before and after.

Edited by Leurgy, 21 January 2005 - 06:23 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 21 January 2005 - 09:08 PM

Maybe I can help out with a few things.

Do you have Norton Cleansweep? Do you have anything that is Norton? The reason why I ask is that a file in your Task Manager is related to it. If you do not have either Norton products, look for then in your add/remove programs, and remove them. It is possible that it was once on the computer, and a few files may have stayed on after the delete. If you can not delete them, you may have to delete them in Safe Mode. The directions can be found by clicking Safe Mode Tutorial.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#6 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:39 PM

>Unsure what you mean, please explain.

SFC is "system file checker". It allows you to extract a windows file from the original disk (or cab files). I used it because I thought maybe explorer.exe was corrupt. I extracted it and replaced the old one. They both were exactly the same size and the date was the same, so I figured it wouldn't make any difference. It didn't. The same errors occurred.

>I think you are confusing Explorers.
>Windows Explorer is an application within Windows.
>Explorer IS Windows. At least its the core application.

I think I understand them. Explorer.exe is in the c:windows directory and is part of windows. iexplore.exe is the web browser and resides in c:program filesIneternet Explorer. Explorer.exe is the program that has the problems (even though the second message I get refers to iexplore). The problem happens when I am searching my computer's directories or trying to use it to do file operations like moving, copying, or deleting files or folders. It usually happens the first time I click on a folder, but sometimes waits until the second or third time.

>Reboot. Before you open any applications, right click My Computer and select Properties.
>Select the Performance Tab. What are your System Resources?

>You seem to have a boatload of running Processes eating up your resources.
>Go to Start>Run type msconfig and click Ok.
>Under the Start Up tab uncheck anything that is unneeded,
>which is everything in that list except:
>Explorer
>Stimon, used for webcams (does that need to be on all the time?)
>ptsnoop (used for dialup connections, turn off if you are on broadband)

Stimon is also used for scanners and cameras, both of which I use.
Ptsnoop is for the pctel modem which I don't normally use, but may occasionally.

Here is a pic of what the system looked like before and after

Posted Image

Hope these are readable. The ONLY item left with a check mark of the startup tab was System Tray. The other programs came up anyway.

>Is everything in the list visible in your screenshot?

Yes, I copied 2 screenshots and then put them together to get the one picture on the previous post.

>After you uncheck those items reboot and look at system resources again. Give us both numbers, before and after.

79% vs. 97%

I don't like doing it, but I was already running with msconfig in the "selective startup" mode with many items unchecked. I've been told you shouldn't run normally like that, but I haven't figured out how to get rid of some of the programs I don't want there.

I'm open to suggestions, but mainly I want to solve the explorer problem right now.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

#7 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:50 PM

Do you have Norton Cleansweep? Do you have anything that is Norton?

JEservices,

I have Norton System Works. It has problems when I let "NProtect" run (I think that is the auto protect recommended mode), so I've disabled that part. I use the AntiVirus for email. I also use Ghost, and sometimes Cleansweep. I sometimes use several of the other utilities and programs it contains also. I could probably stop some of the running processes, but not sure which ones would allow NAV to run after I do.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

#8 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:58 PM

Selective startup is not a problem to use at all. When I reinstall 98 one of the first things I do is stop scanreg and OEM reset. You can remove those entries through the registry if you feel comfortable doing that.

Your problem is that ptudfapp. Found this:

abCD Interface Application. abCD is CD packet writing software. Packet writing software enables you to put files on a rewritable CDs directly from within applications or Windows Explorer as opposed to having to use CD-Writing software to create your CDs. DirectCD from Adaptec is another packet writing package. The ability to put files directly onto rewritable CDs is fraught with incompatibilities, with CDs created in this manner often not readable in other PCs. Prassi Software, however, claim to have cracked the compatibility problems and claim that, unlike with competing products, CDs created with abCD can be read in any other CD-ROM drive or CD-Writer. abCD comes bundled with other software; however, at this stage we are not sure what exactly it comes bundled with.

Recommendation :
Going by their website Prassi Software USA do not seem to be still operating, nor does abCD seem to be supported any more. On a different front, like all packet writing software, PTUDFAPP interferes with other packet writing software such as DirectCD or InCD. Lastly, in our experience PTUDFAPP is responsible for many illegal operations on boot-up, KERNEL32 errors, as well as other application crashes. For all these reasons, therefore, unless you know you are definitely using abCD, we recommend getting rid of PTUDFAPP. To do that you will need to boot your PC into DOS and rename PTUDFAPP.EXE to PDUDFAPP.OLD in order for it not to come up with Windows (you will find PTUDFAPP in "C:\Windows\System").

If you do not know how to do that, let me know.

#9 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the tip. I'm an old DOS guy, so I do know how to do that. I'll give it a try in the morning and let you know if it takes care of the problem.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

#10 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:00 AM

An old Dos guy! :thumbsup: A man after my own heart. Hope that clears up your problem.

#11 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 09:53 AM

An old Dos guy! :thumbsup: A man after my own heart. Hope that clears up your problem.

:flowers: Bad news, no help. I didn't do it by deleting or renaming the file, I just uninstalled abcd altogether using control panel add/remove programs. I checked to make sure the file was gone and it was. Unfortunately, the problem remains the same.

Anybody got any ideas for the next attempt?

Thanks for the try,

Tim
Posted Image

#12 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 11:09 AM

I hope I'm not asking an obvious question here, but do you have Show hidden files enabled?

#13 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 AM

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:34 PM

Do you have Norton Cleansweep?  Do you have anything that is Norton?

JEservices,

I have Norton System Works. It has problems when I let "NProtect" run (I think that is the auto protect recommended mode), so I've disabled that part. I use the AntiVirus for email. I also use Ghost, and sometimes Cleansweep. I sometimes use several of the other utilities and programs it contains also. I could probably stop some of the running processes, but not sure which ones would allow NAV to run after I do.

Thanks,

Tim

The file that was Norton related was csinject. Because you have and use Norton, I do not recommend that you delete any of the files. Someone else may help, but I am limited in information on Norton at this time.

Very nice screenshots by the way.

Ptsnoop is for the pctel modem which I don't normally use, but may occasionally.

When you do use dial-up, would you be turning the computer off? If that is the case, you can disable it for now, and enable it when needed.

When was the last time that you defragged the computer in Safe Mode?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#14 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:35 PM

I hope I'm not asking an obvious question here, but do you have Show hidden files enabled?

No, that was an excellent question. But, yes, I'm set up to view hidden files.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

#15 1timcarter

1timcarter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2005 - 01:40 PM

When you do use dial-up, would you be turning the computer off? If that is the case, you can disable it for now, and enable it when needed.

When was the last time that you defragged the computer in Safe Mode?

Both good points. I'll disable that, but I doubt it is part of the problem. It's been on there for a long time.

Probably been too long since I did a defrag. I'll do that soon and let you know if it helps.

Thanks,

Tim
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users