Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Running On Desktop Parts?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

Have you guys ever heard of a laptop being made to run totally on desktop parts to cut cost? What is the feasibility of such an idea?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:01 AM

Do you possibly mean the transportable computer?

look at this

http://www.theportablepc.com/aztecatx5.htm

or this: http://www.option-computers.com/products/ruggedPortables.asp
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 LcNessie

LcNessie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:50 AM

I know that bigger <ahum> laptops </ahum>, those ones with 17 or 19 inch screens, may contain parts of ordinary PCs. My mom's Acer Aspire has normal DDR memory, a normal 3.5" hard-drive and an ordinary P4 processor. There's enough space for them, are cheaper (as you guessed) and they tend to perform better than genuine power-saving laptop parts. Only thing 'mobile' about it, is the GPU, which is a NVidia 5600 'mobility', I believe...

Of course, they also come standard with a battery pack that you could use to start up a diesel locomotive. They weigh as much as one of those too... -_-'

Edited by LcNessie, 15 June 2007 - 03:58 AM.

Yours sincerely,

LcNessie

"Oh dear, how sad, nevermind... (SNICKER!)" Battery Sgt. Mjr Taffy "Shut up!" Williams - it ain't half hot, mum

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:16 AM

Ya my friends laptop has a socket 478 for the processor, which is the same socket as my desktop computer.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:34 PM

Well have any of you heard of a barebones or a case in which I can build one of these?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#6 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 27 June 2007 - 03:10 PM

What kind of battery would I need to run a gaming PC in a laptop's body? Is it even possible? It sure would be nice, I don't even care about weight, or battery life really.

#7 LcNessie

LcNessie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2007 - 10:12 AM

:thumbsup: *scratches head*

Not sure what you mean by that... There are some so-called white-book projects, that allow you to buy a laptop with only basic components such as a fitting main-board, and you can buy the rest of the components yourself...

Connecting it to a battery would involve creating some kind of power distribution device that turns the battery's output tension into the nominal 12V, 5V, 3.3V, -5V and -12V lines... I have some idea how to do that, but it involves some heavy electronics design...

Edited by LcNessie, 19 September 2007 - 10:13 AM.

Yours sincerely,

LcNessie

"Oh dear, how sad, nevermind... (SNICKER!)" Battery Sgt. Mjr Taffy "Shut up!" Williams - it ain't half hot, mum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users