Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Spybot Sdhelper.dll

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 horamut

horamut

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:43 PM

I want to install the latest version of SpyBot Search&Destroy. Went out and removed SpyGuard. Found an old version of S&D on my system, so tried to remove that. Everything went okay except for one file: SDHelper.dll. Won't let me delete it; indicates that it's in use. Task Manager shows nothing. I suppose I could just load the new S&D and hope it will overwrite the old SDHelper.dll, but I'm a purist. I want to strip the old before installing the new. The little research I've done suggests that this is one devious little b*st*rd of an object. I don't know if I should try to remove it or not. I don't know if God could remove it if He wanted to. So: Can I remove it? Should I? Can it be done without reinstalling XP? Should I just install the new SpyBot and fuggedaboutit? Any cheats, FAQs, or walkthroughs out there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nikas

Nikas

• Members
  • 650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:59 PM

Hi horamut and Welcome to BC!

How did you remove the Spybot? Through add/remove program or?

I would suggest removing the previous version of Spybot completely before you install the new version.

Yes, you can remove and you should. Of course, without reinstalling Window XP. That sounds too serious for it.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

What sounds like happened, is you tried to remove Spybot without first disabling the resident shield.
Try reinstalling Spybot.
Then open Spybot.
On the tool bar, at the top left, click Mode.
Click Advanced Mode.
A box will open, asking if you want to go to Advanced Mode, click Yes.
On the left, near the bottom, click the Tools tab.
Then on the menu, click Resident.
In the panel on the right, remove the check from the box next to Resident "TeaTimer", and Resident "SDHelper".
Close Spybot, then try to uninstall it.

Edited by tg1911, 14 June 2007 - 09:10 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users