Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"checking Out" A Web Site Before You Visit (miniclips.com)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:26 PM

I believe MaraM asked a question about how to check out a website before going there before the "hiccup" yesterday (miniclips.com) so...
You could always try running them through http://www.siteadvisor.com/ , you can download a browser add-on or just do what I do (not as convenient though) and paste the web addy into "Look up a site report:" which gave me http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/miniclip.com , still no guarantees that you couldn't end up with something that you don't want , but still a decent start towards what you can expect.
there is also http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/fr...p?page=overview ,I have no experience with it as it's kinda new and needs windows to work. Both downloads are free I believe.:thumbsup: HTH

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:41 PM

You can also check out the site at linkscanner.com.
Just put in the URL, to the site in question, and hit the Scan button.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:57 PM

Thanks so much no one and tg1911 for all the great advise and links! I've bookmarked each and really, really do appreciate your help.

This help comes at such a perfect time as the little ones want to 'spread their wings' on the internet - and now I stand a good change of knowing ahead of time if certain sites are safe to download from or even visit.

(Good example of best laid plans gone astray ... child wanted knitting sites, each looked perfectly safe so I permitted the download of a free knitting pattern. Went to great lengths to explain why one must always run any download through AVG and SpyBot prior to clicking on it ... and can only say I wish to goodness it had contained a virus. Even a virus would have been far, far better than what suddenly shot up - in full screen size and vivid colour! Egad!!).

Yes, all your help is so very appreciated - thank you, thank you! Gentle hugs!

Mara
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:26 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:01 PM

You're welcome, Mara.
Now's the time to teach the kids about internet security, while they're young. :thumbsup:

Edited by tg1911, 14 June 2007 - 09:13 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:06 PM

You can also check out the site at linkscanner.com.
Just put in the URL, to the site in question, and hit the Scan button.

Cool :thumbsup:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#6 no one

no one
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:09 PM

You're Welcome Mara :thumbsup:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users