Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ram For An Hp A605x

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dara

Dara

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:11 PM

I have an HP Pavilion a605x running Windows XP Pro. The case says that the RAM the PC came with is 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM, but when I checked the RAM itself, it turns out it's actually PC3200, not PC2700.

So now I'm a bit puzzled. When I buy new RAM, should I get the PC2700 that it was supposed to have in the first place, or get the PC3200?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:42 PM

According to HP HERE, they list the specs as the max memory at 2700. How did you find out that the ram installed is 3200 (what program did you use?)? The only thing that I can think of is maybe they've updated the BIOS, which has increased the max memory speed?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 06:21 AM

HP may have gotten a deal on the 3200 and substituted it. Since it states that it supports 2700, I'd go with 2700 unless you also can get a deal on 3200 (the memory will be clocked down to 2700 by the system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Dara

Dara
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:37 PM

How did you find out that the ram installed is 3200 (what program did you use?)? The only thing that I can think of is maybe they've updated the BIOS, which has increased the max memory speed?

I didn't use any program. I removed the stick to look at it and see exactly what I had. It's labelled as:

Samsung
CN 0419
PC3200U-30331-B2
M368L6423ETM-CCC
512MB DDR PC3200 CL3

No idea about whether they've updated the BIOS, but this is the same memory the PC came with when I bought it 3-4 years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users