Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Move Dos Program From Win98 To Xp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vicman

Vicman

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:55 PM

Hello All,

My first time posting here.

I have a friend whose inventory control runs on DOS/Win 98 machine. She would like to backup and install it in a Win XP machine?

Is there a way to copy the entire program, she doesn't have the original disks or program. The man who created passed away last year and she has no way of backing up the program. Can this be copied and installed in a XP machine?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:53 PM

First, do not delete anything on the W98 system. It will be your "backup" in case you need to fall back and try again. Hopefully, she has been backing up that data to floppies, Zips, CDs, tapes, or something. If not, you should highly recommend that she does so once you get it moved to the XP system.

What DOS program is it? Sounds like it could be an old data base program.

Is it running in a Win 98 window, or does it run only when she exits to DOS?

Many old DOS programs need certain parameters that are set in either the "autoexec.bat" file or the "config.sys" file when the system boots up, so you may need copies of both of them.

Give us more information and we may be able to give you enough guidance to get it working.

Oh,

and :thumbsup: to the board, Vicman.

Doh, where are my manners?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 Vicman

Vicman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 06:20 AM

Thank you John,

She has not created bbackups at all of any kind. It only runs when she exits to DOS. The system runs win98 and has an icon on desktop that she executes and runs the inventory control. I will find out what version of DOS it is and keep you posted.

Thank you for the great information I advised her not delete or mess with the progrma since she has no backup.

#4 MattV

MattV

• Members
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 21 July 2007 - 10:50 PM

Starting with Win 98, Micro$oft decided that no one need any real DOS to work with. All that was left was a type of pseudo-DOS that is actually just a windows program that emulated some very basic DOS functions. So with that in mind, just copy the program files onto a floppy or CD (depending on what is available on both computers), then copy them into a directory on the XP machine and see if it works with XP's pseudo-DOS.

Win 95 was the last version of Windows that was truly DOS-based. I always booted into DOS, and only ran Windows (from DOS) when I needed to use something that was Windows based. I was thoroughly ticked when, after installing Win 98, I found that there was no longer any DOS to work with. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users