Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Recamendations

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pro-n00b

pro-n00b

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:16 PM

hey all ive just read

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

and that other one with applications

i was wondering whats the best ... now before you get ahead of yourself re read the above lmao , i have done some searching lol ive seen alot of posts get those two links taged in the next post alot

i know most of those programs but i dont really have any gauge of what is the best or what works well with what and so on and so forth ...

i am getting a new commputer soon ( in the next week or so ) and i wanted to know what to get for it

CURRENTLY i have AVG Anti Spyware 7.5 Plus , Ad-Aware SE Professional , Ad-Watch SE Professional and thats just about it ... i dont mind paying for anything security wise i have connections and can get them relitively cheap or free ...

ive heard of security suits like MacAfee Norton and Zone Alarm but i really cant seem to decide weither i love em or hate em ... ive used MacAfee before ( came with my comp a few years ago ) it was very very good at killing viruses but not so good at preventing them ... also it took quite alot of skill to use it

norton was the same except it was alot worse at killing stuff ... tiny bit better at prevention and the interface was much better ... overall i didnt like it

zone alarm ... just sucked , anoying didnt stop anything , was impossible to kill baddies , the only good thing was the interface was easy to use

so i switched to AVG by a suggestion of this forum on one of my posts which i like alot , again with my connections ( brother works at a comp store ) i came into a buch of upgrade keys and cds so i upgraded Ad-aware and AVG

sooo now that ive rambled enough what would you suggest for a new computer and what would u suggest for my current computer ... u need not post links or w.e ill find em , just names of utilities will do

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:32 PM

Someone will, and does, find something wrong with every program, pro-n00b.

Zone Alarm's Internet Security Suite has gotten a lot of "Editor's Choice" reviews, but there are still some who have not been pleased with it's performance, interface, ability to keep them secure, etc., for example.

As a minimum you should have:

A Firewall (two when possible - a hardware firewall and a software one)

An anti-virus program running in "real time".

An anti-Spyware program running in "real time".

a program to keep your software and operating system up to date.

Lately, anti-rootkit scanners have become available, and you should have that capability, too.

Most of us would probably also recommed an additional way to give yourself a "second opinion" regarding Virus, spyware, and rootkit activity, by having one or more additional programs available to run an "on demand" scan of your system.

Something to help you watch out for Phishing schemes and anti-spam would be suggested, if it isn't already part of your other programs, too.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:19 PM

Comodo OR Sygate firewalls. One or the other, but do not rely on any Windows firewall.
AVG Anti-Virus.
Spybot S&D, Ad-AwareSE, AVG Anti-spyware. You can add one or two to this group, but be sure to install the three I mentioned.
Firefox
Thunderbird

All of these are free, and you can find links in the Freeware Applications pinned topic.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 09:48 PM

Someone will, and does, find something wrong with every program, pro-n00b.

Zone Alarm's Internet Security Suite has gotten a lot of "Editor's Choice" reviews, but there are still some who have not been pleased with it's performance, interface, ability to keep them secure, etc., for example.

As a minimum you should have:

A Firewall (two when possible - a hardware firewall and a software one)

An anti-virus program running in "real time".

An anti-Spyware program running in "real time".

a program to keep your software and operating system up to date.

Lately, anti-rootkit scanners have become available, and you should have that capability, too.

Most of us would probably also recommed an additional way to give yourself a "second opinion" regarding Virus, spyware, and rootkit activity, by having one or more additional programs available to run an "on demand" scan of your system.

Something to help you watch out for Phishing schemes and anti-spam would be suggested, if it isn't already part of your other programs, too.

can you give me a bit more info or examples of each type of those things ... im a bit confused

i didnt even know there was a hardware firewall also if theres multiple things running in real time doesnt that make it hard for the programs to work

thanks for the help

Spoiler

EDIT*********************

i have Ad-Watch SE Professional what is that monitoring , i know its real time

also i have AVG PLUS so its not like a individual scanner is it ?? or do that just mean its better .... if so do i need a diff SVG for spyware than for viruses or is PLUS for both .....and is that also real time ?

Edited by pro-n00b, 14 June 2007 - 09:58 PM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:13 PM

You can have several anti-adware applications scanning in real time if you wish; additional real time scans will, however, take extra computer resources. However, you should not have more than one Anti-virus scanning in real time, nor more than one software firewall active on your computer at any time.
There are many free, on-line scans that you can use as "second opinions" or double-checks against those you have on your computer.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

You can have several anti-adware applications scanning in real time if you wish; additional real time scans will, however, take extra computer resources. However, you should not have more than one Anti-virus scanning in real time, nor more than one software firewall active on your computer at any time.
There are many free, on-line scans that you can use as "second opinions" or double-checks against those you have on your computer.
Regards,
John

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT ...sry i had to get rid of what i said cause it was stupid lol

ok now heres the current list

AVG Anti-Spyware PLUS
AVG Anti-Virus PRO ( looks pretty simple compaired to Anti-spyware Plus which is nice and flashy)
Ad-Aware SE Professional
Ad-Watch SE Professional
Spybot - Search & Destroy

i still need suggestions on firewalls , hareware and software( didnt know there was a difference)
also i need help with anti rootkit ( no idea what that even is )

thanks all ill try and keep posts to a minimal idiocy

Edited by pro-n00b, 14 June 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 08:17 AM

Here's Wikipedia's article on Firewalls, pro-n00b.

Keeping it simple, if you have a high-speed internet connection you may have a router which may provide a level of hardware firewall protection, and you can download a number of free software firewall programs, two of which jgweed mentioned - Comodo OR Sygate.

Since you mentioned the AVG products, they have a Free Anti-Rootkit program.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 pro-n00b

pro-n00b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 12:43 PM

Here's Wikipedia's article on Firewalls, pro-n00b.

Keeping it simple, if you have a high-speed internet connection you may have a router which may provide a level of hardware firewall protection, and you can download a number of free software firewall programs, two of which jgweed mentioned - Comodo OR Sygate.

Since you mentioned the AVG products, they have a Free Anti-Rootkit program.

thankee very much

yeah ill prob go with comodo cause ive used it before ( with the antivirus ) it was extreemly good for a freeware sept the virus scan thing was always causeing problems with my other programs like ad aware so i had to uninstall it ... so maybe ill just put in the firewall

also if that link doesnt explain it could u post the difference ( REALLY sinply ) between a hardware and a software firewall

and also what is a anti rootkit ??? llke what does that mean

THANKS again your all very knowledgeable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users