Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Have A Constant Icon In My Systray Showing Downloading Updates?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dasummers

dasummers

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:44 PM

Had tremendous help getting rid of all the bugs from my computer from charles at this site - kudos! But now, I had a friend use my system and he was not as informed as most (this site has really given me tons of information), anyway he has now given me an icon in my system tray that looks like a microsoft update icon. When you pull the cursor over it, it says "downloading updates: 0%". It stays that way forever. You can click on it and nothing happens! What's going on here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:57 PM

Go to the Windows update site and check for Windows updates. The link for that site is below.
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 06:57 PM

Did that and no updates are needed for my system yet the icon still remains. I click, right-click, every click and can get no action/response from the icon in my system tray. Any ideas?

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:03 PM

Have you rebooted since the icon appeared? What happens if you right click on it?

Do you have Windows Defender?

Edited by buddy215, 14 June 2007 - 07:04 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:20 AM

I've rebooted, and right clicking does nothing. Still the icon remains. I don't have windows defender.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 07:31 AM

You can probably hide it. Right click in an empty space in the bottom task bar. Select properties then select customize. You should see a list of icons. Uncheck the Windows download icon if it is there.

#7 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:00 PM

I don't have those options under Windows 2000? Furthermore, why is it there? I feel I've been bugged and I don't want to just hide it.

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 03:56 PM

Have you tried turning off automatic updates? If you leave it off, you will have to update it manually every "oh so often". You can turn automatic updates back on, just be sure to keep an eye and see if this keeps happening. If it does, then there could be something else wrong... :huh:

Turn off Automatic updates then reboot and keep your fingers crossed! Let us know if this works or not! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:53 PM

Something weird now. I double click the icon in control panel for automatic updates and nothing happens. I select start->windows update and the IE window opens and has the header Microsoft Windows Update at top but the window never loads. It's still trying to load in the background as I type this but nothing is loading. It seems like I can't get to the site for windows update???

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:19 PM

I see you have Super Antispyware and have used Bit Defender. If you haven't scanned for malware the last day or so, I would suggest you use those two programs.
It could be that Microsoft's server was having a problem or was real busy at the time you tried to connect to the update site.
I have had that to happen a couple of times.

#11 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 01:10 AM

Ran a scan from both of those programs and somewhere in between running those, the icon disappeared! Thanks for the help but it was nusual.
dean

#12 dasummers

dasummers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 01:42 PM

The downloading updates icon is back! Cannot click it to perform an action (right click and all), dragging the mouse on it shows "Downloading updates: 0%". Bringing up Task Manager does not show it running in the background. When I click on Windows Update from the Start button, IE opens a window to bring up the site, it never loads and the load bar at the bottom of the window shows approx. 1/3 loaded. I can leave the page up for hours - it never loads. I can navigate to microsoft.com normally but as soon as I click on the update link, the page never loads. Once the page attempts to load, I can't close the window by clicking the x button or minimize it by clicking the - button. The only way to close the page is by control-alt-delete and task manager to end the process. Have you heard of this before? Is there some malware or trojan running disguised as a microsoft downloader? HELP!

Edited by dasummers, 18 June 2007 - 01:43 PM.

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,502 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 07:25 PM

Why not try running the security programs again. If the icon disappears, try going to windows update and turning off automatic updates as stevealmighty suggested before rebooting.
There may be malware causing this. I know you recently posted a Hijack This log and are familiar with the procedure, so if the above doesn't fix the problem I would suggest you post another log in the Hijack This Forum.

#14 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2007 - 08:39 PM

I agree with buddy215-please post in the HiJack This (HJT) section of the forums. You can follow the instructions HERE. While it may seem like a pain, or long and tedious, it's really not that difficult, not to mention that if you've got one kind of malware on your computer, you've probably got more! The pros of the HJT team should have your machine running like new in no time flat! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users