Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Underclocking Increase Mtbf?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:35 AM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 01:56 PM

I have heard so many people say that OCing decreases MTBF that I know it to be true. I thought to myself, maybe it works the other way, maybe UCing or underclocking will make my PC last forever. What do you guys think about that?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,460 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:22 PM

Nope

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:19 PM

Never happen. Computer components are designed with a shelf life in mind more often then not when everything goes according to design the component will out live its usefulness. The hardware will always due what you bought it to do. Its the constant wanting it to do more that causes them to become obsolete. If all I wanted to do was play Shamus and write in basic my IBM PC Jr might still be alive today.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 14 June 2007 - 08:19 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

If something has an MTBF of 50,000 hours, does that mean it will run after I turn it on once and leave it on for 50k hours or if I constantly turn it on and off with 50k hours?
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#5 LcNessie

LcNessie

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 PM

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:15 AM

If something has an MTBF of 50,000 hours, does that mean it will run after I turn it on once and leave it on for 50k hours or if I constantly turn it on and off with 50k hours?

MTBF stands for 'Mean Time Before Faillure'. It is an average (mean) score, rounded down somewhat. In a worst case scenario example, it would mean that some of those components would give out just after one hour, and some others would still work after 99k hours.

It is a number that is plucked out of the air, representing an amount of time a component will be expected to work, considering *normal* use of the component. Turning it on and off far more than it is intended to do will shorten it's lifespan, keeping it running unnecessarily will shorten it too. Pushing it to it's limits will shorten the lifespan, and pushing it OVER the limits will shorten the lifespan considerably... :thumbsup:

Maintaining the component as indicated by the manufacturer will in it's turn actually increases it's lifespan, except when the maintenance is performed in a rough or unprofessional manner... :flowers:

Which one of these factors reduces or increases the lifespan the most, is usually unknown, and topic for a lot of heated discussions...

So, to make a long story even longer: MTBF is a number (usually representing hours) of time that gives you an idea of how long a component will work, before wear and tear may noticably start to degrade it's performance... :trumpet:

Edited by LcNessie, 15 June 2007 - 11:14 AM.

Yours sincerely,

LcNessie

"Oh dear, how sad, nevermind... (SNICKER!)" Battery Sgt. Mjr Taffy "Shut up!" Williams - it ain't half hot, mum

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

Really doesn't matter - if the MTBF is too high, then your system will be obsolete while it's still running. So you'll need a new one anyway!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users